Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    -lean back
    -sit on your back leg
    -pull down and towards you with back hand
    -as soon as the board flies get your front foot in

Yes, I notice that lots of people talk about 'pulling down' on the boom (especially at the beginning of the gybe), so I will try to get that feeling in my mouvements. I seem to be going through a period of good days and then the next session it goes all rubbish again, maybe that is progress but it doesn't feel like it !

@radialhead - the Futura is even narrower than the isonic - the isonic is already hard to uphual in heavy chop, so I don't think that I would like that aspect, but I do agree with you, all the board reviews say that the Futura has more strap options and is a little more user friendly

right now I'd like to go up about 10 litres and wider by about 5 centimeters.
    Last edited by astroboy; 20th December 2017 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by astroboy View Post
    Yes, I notice that lots of people talk about 'pulling down' on the boom (especially at the beginning of the gybe), so I will try to get that feeling in my mouvements. I seem to be going through a period of good days and then the next session it goes all rubbish again, maybe that is progress but it doesn't feel like it !

@radialhead - the Futura is even narrower than the isonic - the isonic is already hard to uphual in heavy chop, so I don't think that I would like that aspect, but I do agree with you, all the board reviews say that the Futura has more strap options and is a little more user friendly

right now I'd like to go up about 10 litres and wider by about 5 centimeters.
    No. You need to waterstart.

Hi
    yes I agree one of the next challenges is waterstarting, but with it snowing outside I really think I'll leave it until spring. The thing is in my area, most guys have wide slalom boards and I almost never see anyone waterstarting, when they wipe out, they mostly seem to uphaul - that said most of the year my area doesn't get that heavy winds as it is fairly sheltered

still I was thinking more of having a go on something like the Fanatic Gecko 133 - wide with easy footstrap options - seems like the best way to progress, no?

Quote Originally Posted by astroboy View Post
    Hi
    yes I agree one of the next challenges is waterstarting, but with it snowing outside I really think I'll leave it until spring. The thing is in my area, most guys have wide slalom boards and I almost never see anyone waterstarting, when they wipe out, they mostly seem to uphaul - that said most of the year my area doesn't get that heavy winds as it is fairly sheltered

still I was thinking more of having a go on something like the Fanatic Gecko 133 - wide with easy footstrap options - seems like the best way to progress, no?
    You might progress with certain things easier on a freeride type board, true. For waterstarting you only need enough wind to plane. If you can plane, you can waterstart & bigger board can make it more difficult.

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Astro, stay away from those wide free ride boards specially the Jp exite, Gecko and the AtomIQ.
    After being on the ISonic, even not fully mastered, you may find them boring.
    I am very fond of the Futura and for the future you’d be wise to consider it.
    You have the body type and agility to succeed and, as you say, you are enjoying the process this is very important to improving.
    Many, many years ago I learned to get in the straps before using a harness (harnesses had not yet arrived to the scene in my location) so it is possible to learn different parts of getting a board going.

Thanks so much for all the input
    I find myself having a hard time following some of the suggestions. Probably I will stick with the isonic and be more disciplined and have more organised focused sessions, trying to improve on one or two main points.

What I don't really want to do is spend money on a board that is too similar to what I have. On the other hand I don't see narrow boards being any fun in the light wind days, and even when it's howling our way I see lots of guys blasting over 50kph on wide slalom boards - what I like about the wider one's is they appear to have huge wind range - ie one board does it all - paired with 3 or 4 sails,
    does that make sense ?