Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

all in a day's light wind windsurfing!

Because of windsurfing I was in that place at that time

I'd gone to the beach as usual for a monday and met one of my mate's there, who just sat in his van and read windsurfing magazines because it wasn't blowing 20 kts.

So I went out and did about 2 hours of light wind gybing and fast tacking and was well pleased with myself. Came in for a quick hot cuppa and stripped down the top half of my wettie.

Where I windsurf there is the sea (doh) then a long beach with a long car park. There's a big fence and the other side of the car park is a fast two way road and then a railway line with a crossing.

We all heard this sound. I turned around to see a silver van careering into the wall at the side of the road and thought something had fallen off the roof. Then in the opposite direction a large white car comes flying down the road with the front smashed up from the collision and the accelerator is blocked.

The car flew up the railway crossing, did a wicked handbrake turn and landed smack bang in the middle of the tracks, the accelerator was still blocked, the car was stuck on the tracks and doing a massive burn out with the front tyre.

As bad luck would have it. Like two seconds after the car wiped out on the tracks, the signal started to 'ding' and the barriers came down. You couldn't see anything because the front tyre was still screaming and burning out on something the rail and stones and stuff.

I sort of went blank and then had this massive adrenaline rush. I just ran across the car park, across the main road and pulled the woman out of the car onto the side of the tracks. I ran up the overpass and started jumping up and down waving at the train which slowed up really fast.

I then ran back down and hit the ignition and got back to the side of the tracks. By then there was a little crowd gathered so I went over to help 2 other guys get the driver out of the van. The loading door was half torn off and he was really shaken up. His door was blocked so two guys pulled him out from the passenger side.

I then just slipped back to the car park, got my wettie back on and sailed back out. About ten police cars rolled up, an ambulance, a fire truck, two tow trucks and by now there was a massive traffic jam. I got in another 2 hours gybing and then this copper came down onto the beach and started blowing his whistle and waving at me to come in. I was about 50m out and as things would go, the wind just died out cold right there and then.

I just stood on the board laughing and looking at him and it took me about 15 minutes to gently drift in. They interviewed me about it all and the woman driver came over and thanked me about a million times.
    Whatever, all in a day's windsurfing. I wonder if any of you have been in that place at that time. Nobody was really hurt but the car and the minivan were right offs.

Looking foward to some more peaceful gybing next time !

You've become my hero for the day. Bloody well done matey.

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Very moving well done.

Well done Astro Boy sounds like super hero stuff, where was this?

Goodness me...what a day..Well done Astro...you deserve a medal. Brilliant.

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Graemef View Post
    Well done Astro Boy sounds like super hero stuff, where was this?
    I believe he is here:

https://www.google.fr/maps/place/Bay....4982661?hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by Navegante View Post
    Well it does look suspiciously like windsurfers in that car park.

https://www.google.fr/maps/@34.32150...2!8i6656?hl=en

Well done Astro.

For your next superhero challenge . . .

Eeeh 'tis grim dahn Sarf.