Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Hi paul, just be aware there is a 5 metre swell forcast for bigbury, should be interesting !!

Quote Originally Posted by johnjules78 View Post
    Hi paul, just be aware there is a 5 metre swell forcast for bigbury, should be interesting !!
    Gulp! Might end up trying to find somewhere a little more sheltered.

I know ! double gulp !!, we will probably head to daymer on sunday, if you are unsure give dave at reactive a ring , he is always happy to advize

Hove today from 11.30?

Am confused. BBC/Metoffice forecasting 16-18mph for Hayling tomorrow 11am - 3pm. WG has 24-25kts, also high on Windfinder + Xc.

Is it going to be worth a trip, and if so will it be 4m weather or 6m+?

Quote Originally Posted by James73 View Post
    Am confused. BBC/Metoffice forecasting 16-18mph for Hayling tomorrow 11am - 3pm. WG has 24-25kts, also high on Windfinder + Xc.

Is it going to be worth a trip, and if so will it be 4m weather or 6m+?
    Not sure about for Hayling but BBC/MetO is normally gospel for Shingly HQ during the winter months. Met Office charts show a widening of the isobars tomorrow after the morning frontal system clears.
    For sale:
    HSM Superfreak 4.2 £FREE

I must say the weather is a bit weird at the moment.

I'm away from my home spot which makes it difficult for me to read exactly what is going on – but I'm thinking that most places are getting less than forecast. The endless runs of 'three stars on Windguru' aren't happening, and the Met Office version of the forecast often gives 20mph gusting 34mph – but the lower figure is generally closer to the average.

Why is this?
    Well, the jet stream is pumping overhead, and in Spring or early Summer the 'thermal mixing' element of our daytime weather would almost guarantee a wind increase over the day. As it is, there is little thermal mixing at this time of year, especially on cloudy days, and the bigger gusts we see only come down ahead of showers.
    So, basically, you often don't get anything near the gust levels forecast.

I'm in Devon right now and yesterday we had bands of showers that brought vicious wind and rain squalls, but they were quickly followed by clearer, windless periods – and any windsurfers would have had to grab what temporary wind there was, struggling to pick the right sail size.

I'm not seeing epic conditions reported on Facebook – which to be honest is a relief, as I can't get afloat myself this week.
    It also seems like – with the wind pattern and tide times we have – the windier periods are overnight.

Basically, you have to take pot luck with this forecast, and catch what you can. Perhaps hang around the beach – based on what SHOULD happen – but then take what comes through. It certainly seems like there should be some wind on New Year's Eve. New year's Day then looks crap, once the rain clears through, turning the wind offshore.

(I'm hoping to get a session on Wednesday)
    Last edited by basher; 31st December 2017 at 12:22 AM.
    Now back in the UK.