Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Seeking to learn waterstart - any time of year

What are the best places to work on this? We have (chest deep?) beachstarts, planing, harness, footstraps, 120-185L boards.

We're located in the pacific northwest. Everything is really FAAR for us! (20 hours to Bonaire)

I really want to get this down so we can go anywhere!

Thank you

Unfortunately, you put this in the locations section.
    Perhaps one of our moderators can move it to the technique section?
    Now back in the UK.

I was hoping for some suggestions on locations. I keep watching these videos with nice flat or shallow water, but the only place I know that comes close is Bonaire.

Tried to learn waterstart in 3m surf in Maui. It was great exercise. If I didn't get up immediately I would be washed into the kite part of the beach, have to get out of the water, and walk everything back. I may have been there at the expert time of year, but all the local information claims it's always great windsurfing for all levels!

Where is everyone learning?

I learnt in a local lake, then improved out in Egypt. Surely you must have somewhere local to sail, that is also flat?

Where ever your doing chest deep water starts! Just don’t put your feet down. It’s a progression from deeper water starts not a totally new skill. Just make sure the wind direction is such that if you can’t water start you’ll end up back on the beach.

I practiced on dry land which helped get the feel of power int he rig and how to control on the rise out of the water. 10 mins solved that.
    Boards: F2 Gorilla 76, Tabou Quadster 86, Fanatic Triwave 95, Starboard Kombatwave 96, F2 Stoke 115, JPFreeRace 125, Sails: Gaastra Poison 4.2, North Hero 4.2, North Ice 4.7, Simmer Icon 5.3, Gaastra Cross 6, Ezzy Elite 6.1, Tushingham Storm 6.5, Severne Turbo 7.5

Hardest part of waterstarting is getting rig out of water and into correct position...In old days we could sink back of board under boom and let it float rig up..( ie pull boom head from leeward side of board over tail, push board under so board end up near harness lines, then be patient. It will float it up..Then its a matter of rig control, feel..but helps if boom isn't too high.( or too low) Dont weight board up,get one foot up on board and roll onto board ( like starting on a wakeboard). Come up very low, arms well above you..ape like.
    If you have a board that doesn't reach boom at tail, it is possible to hold board with you back arm and pull rig over that with your front, you still use buoyancy of board to help flloat rig.
    Alternative is starting with rig to windward, mast perpendicular to board and board pointing almost into wind. Lift mast to catch wind but again be patient, rushing now can sink tail of boom.Try and slowly get rig flying, when its fully flying get in your waterstart position but let nose drift down wind so it end up 90degrees to wind. ( with practice you can use rig to alter position of board relative to wind. Too high and you,ll back wind and be pushed under, too broad and you,ll be pulled over board when you get up. Keep board at 90 to wind all time.
    When my grandson was learning I put small floats on boom end, boom clamp and mast head. ( taped foam on boom). I did same for daughter 25 years ago..
    Other thing to try ( this is how many learnt 30 odd years ago, including me, ) On a reach see how far back into water you can get and recover)

Simple fact is water starting is actually a natural development in your sailing. With enough ToW it becomes second nature, but for safety's sake should be a skil we learn asap.
    Last edited by Alphie; 28th December 2017 at 11:21 AM.