Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Basher - good points. read foils for windsurfing boards are designed around existing boards' fin positions, but if foil could be more towards the middle it could be different and lower drag.
    I see kiters in El Medano foiling in what feels like 5 knots or even less, and on choppy 30knot+ days. It's come a long way on kites.
    Boards: F2 Gorilla 76, Tabou Quadster 86, Fanatic Triwave 95, Starboard Kombatwave 96, F2 Stoke 115, JPFreeRace 125, Sails: Gaastra Poison 4.2, North Hero 4.2, North Ice 4.7, Simmer Icon 5.3, Gaastra Cross 6, Ezzy Elite 6.1, Tushingham Storm 6.5, Severne Turbo 7.5

Quote Originally Posted by Maker View Post
    Basher - good points. read foils for windsurfing boards are designed around existing boards' fin positions, but if foil could be more towards the middle it could be different and lower drag.
    I see kiters in El Medano foiling in what feels like 5 knots or even less, and on choppy 30knot+ days. It's come a long way on kites.
    Worth looking at Matthew''s contribution on the foiling thread. Sean Cox's canard looks to have a lift component probably 250mm in front of the finbox.
    We need purpose designed boards I'm sure.

To be fair, the home made mini foils are just a bit of fun. Just for tinkering with in the shed on no wind days. They are not intended to fly like full-on foils, even if they did fly like a foil, they would soon have control issues. They are just intended too give a bit more lift/power for those who do not wont to go down the 9m/10m sail size route.

Personally, I have a SB formula 161 and 9.6m which gets fully going in 8k to 10k. Plus the iS130/9.6m works great in 10k to 12k. So light summer breezes are covered.

Still not found any solid feedback on the production mini foils like Zulu fins etc, any one know otherwise?

nice house with horses, cats dogs, and bride. USA
    http://frpgear.com/

I think the claims are wildly exaggerated.

Mark, I really concerned that the wing on the bottom will prove too fragile .

K4 Fins 4Boards TRI-sails Sailrepair

I kind of felt the same, therefore after ordering a FRPgear Fly-Fin model 2019 I had promised to give a feed-back on its performance.
    Attempting to keep the conclusions short and to the point, I hope that sharing this information will be helpful to others and promote objective, albeit critical discussion among the windsurfing community:

1. My hope to extend the range of an already perfect light-wind board (iSonic 121 litre, 232x75 cm) to the down-side with the use of a Fly-Fin has been dispelled.
    2. The Fly-Fin model 2019 is not only NOT helping to improve light-wind capacity, but it renders above mentioned board literally USELESS by causing spin-out on the lightest push on the fin.
    3. My suggestion to fellow windsurfers, who have ordered any of the Fly-Fin models, is to share as well their experiences wth the necessary level of detail in a spirit that allows to learn from each other.
    4. My recommendations to FRPgear are threefold: Firstly and foremost, to Ďget up to speedí in order to be able to provide better advice to the average windsurfer interested in buying their product, secondly, to systematically ask customers about their experience with enough detail to contribute towards the first point, i.e. to be able to provide better advice, and thirdly to find a way to have a full-scale testing done by an experienced team in an objective and unbiased way, which would again contribute towards the first point.

Feel free to look more at my detailed posts on FB ( www.facebook.com/cesar.ramon.58958 ), Iím happy to reply to questions and provide clarification where needed and where I am able to do so.

Super Moderator
    Post above recovered from spam.

Frp flex foil unfortunately cant work either, because the trailing egde of the fin is obviously under the load bending to the wrong (windward) side.