Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    I emailed the manufacturer of fly fin the same thing: the flex edge will bend the wrong way. He replied that the ones who bought it liked it!

Cesar Ramon, I had the same experience with the 2017 model fly-fin on my 133l. Bic Techno board. However, I did experience enough early planing to remain excited about the concept. The manufacturer was uninterested in my ideas and the 2018, 2019, and 2020 models have not, in my opinion, addressed the design problems which cause severe spin-out, nose pearling, windward rail digging in, zero upwind ability in low wind, and ridiculous stance necessary to sail this fin!

Cesar Ramon, FRP (aka Zakgear) have left this forum, but they jumped all over your facebook page. Anyone out there, windsurfers who have bought this product?????
    Last edited by RazeR69; 14th March 2018 at 06:07 PM. Reason: add name, spelling

The fly-fin actual fin (without the bottom wing) is much too small!
    So here is my reasoning. Manufacturers of boards provide a stock fin which is necessarily a compromise good for medium wind. For stronger winds, a smaller fin will be better. And for low wind a larger fin will perform better. So maybe 15 % larger fin for a lot of low wind sailing might be good. Now I use a fin fully twice as large for early planing, but if the wing foil provides the lift, that amount will not be necessary and I could avoid the drag it produces.
    My 130 l. Bic Techno comes with a fin, 44 cm. length and a surface area of 342 sq. cm. The fly-fin has 26.7 cm. length and 182 sq. cm. area only! It’s supposed to be for low wind early planing. So let’s add 15 % to my stock fin measurements: length 50.6 cm ...............fly-fin is half long enough!
    Area 393 cm. ................fly-fin is less than half big enough!
    What about a smaller board? I have a 105 l. old style Mistral. The stock fin is 34 cm. long and 265 sq. cm. in area. Even without adding 15 %, the fly-fin is too small for that board too.
    Until the fin itself is a sufficient size to perform properly, there is no way to know what effects are attributable to the bottom wing only. Incidentally, my early tests indicate that the bottom wing has enough size, enough camber, and too much angle of attack......
    Last edited by RazeR69; 28th March 2018 at 09:29 PM.

Hi RazeR69,
    I am looking to try this fin. For the record the new 2020 model is around 30 by 22 cm which gives 660 cm². This should be enough for light wind for a 75 kg sailor to prevent spinout. I usually use a weed fin with an area of 540 cm² on a 130 l freedride board and a 7.5 sail.
    It seems that FRP is listening to the customer comments .

Quote Originally Posted by deska View Post
    Hi RazeR69,
    I am looking to try this fin. For the record the new 2020 model is around 30 by 22 cm which gives 660 cm². This should be enough for light wind for a 75 kg sailor to prevent spinout. I usually use a weed fin with an area of 540 cm² on a 130 l freedride board and a 7.5 sail.
    It seems that FRP is listening to the customer comments .
    flexing trailing edge will put you in spinout very easy even with so huge area.

as a part of my at least 10 years old foil projet I was testing a T-shape foil. This ideal is going nowhere. The wing on the fin that is big enough to have noticeable lift will help you to get planning earlier. yes. and then what ? any access lift is lifting your tail up causing the nose pushing down, increasing wetted area and slowering. The foil itself has more grag to decrease the top speed, but there isnt any topspeed. semifoil is only about super slow planning. maybe it can help beginners in lightwind or someting like that. over.