Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Well, maybe yes and maybe no. See my results on the newest semi-foil thread. My 50 cm. long T-foil is planing smoothly from 14 km/hr to 27 km/hr so far tested with NO difference in nose tilt! I'm hugely surprised by that, just using my normal stance in my normal footstrap position. I'm especially surprised considering that the wing is located 70 mm. further to the rear than the fly-fin I cut apart because of the 5 degree rake of the trailing edge of the race fin, the 50 cm. length going back and the fact the fin is off-set to the rear of the Tuttle head! The FRP configuration of the fin nose pearled badly and often!

Although getting on the plane is already smooth with regular moving back technique, I have now mounted my fin with an even greater angle of attack and mounted it so it will self-adjust to a lesser angle of attack as the speed increases. I brought stuff with me to Cuba to do this after I tested the fin in a normal fixed angle of attack. So far I have not read of any foil that has this capability.....Maybe tomorrow I can test it......
    Last edited by RazeR69; 28th March 2018 at 09:28 PM.

deska:

Well, if part of that area is flexible, it will hurt rather than help, in my opinion, not having tried it but just thinking about it. Also I think most fins for most uses have decided length is better than width. Also I am coming to believe that the further the foil wing is from the surface, the better it will perform. Virus fins look awesome and are now ready for sale but I am waiting to hear any test results. I see the top third placement as causing too much unforseen turbulence and being too close to the surface.

I've put all the rest of my posts in another thread, http://forums.boards.co.uk/showthrea...4jzVfJgdyfK.97

to keep them all in one place.

Just to keep the history of semi-foil fins with the current posts.
    There's no ox so dumb as the orthodox.

2020 Flyfin trial

Hi guys, I tried the 2020 fly fin on my stay at Hatteras, NC, two weeks ago. Here is my report. To record this fin is 31 cm high, 22cm wide and the foil is 34 cm wide.

My test was done with a 130 l freeride board with 69 cm width and a 7.3 sail. Iím an experienced windsurfer. My weight is 74 kg.

In marginal wind at 10 to 11 knots it works correctly, gives some nice lift and some speed. When the speed increases and the fun is to start with planning, the things go bad. The fin spins (spinouts) suddenly and hardly. It is almost impossible to bring back like a standard fin. Iím a rather heavy rear foot sailor, but even when I tried to be gentle, it spun.

After that the wind picked to 12-13 knots and planning was easy, but always with frequent spinouts. I make myself very light on the back foot and it was possible to plane, but in the same time the fly fin pushes the nose of the board down. The board sticks to the water and hits all small chop. And if you ask, my rear foot straps are already at the aft position. Maybe it could be possible to move back the mast base to compensate a bit, but I didnít try.

The turns (jibe) were hard to do because the fin does not want to turn when in speed. Maybe because of its width (22 cm) ?

In conclusion I think that there is a potential in this idea, but the 2020 model I not for me.

During the test and after it, FRPgear was very kind and the communication was great. I returned the fin and got a full reimbursement as promised.

Chris

PS sorry for my English, it is my third language

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180417_093529_redimensionner.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	16147

Name:	IMG_20180417_093535_redimensionner.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	16148

Name:	IMG_20180417_093543_redimensionner.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	16149

Super Moderator
    Previous post recovered from Spam.

Deska;

Thanks very much for the report on your trial of the 2020 fly-fin! Did you measure or did you get info from FRP on what is the Angle of Attack of the wing on that model. One of the most critical measurements in determining what works and what doesn't on a foil fin.....
    There's no ox so dumb as the orthodox.