Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    Mikerb,
    Could you please clarify for a novice in sport? Do you mean that a better board, rig and skill will do with Fly-Fin even better compare to what I see in frpgear.com? Or you mean that fly-fin improves only old board, poor rigs and novice skill like myself? I am asking because on some flyFin videos fold board, poor rig and low skill attached to flyfin wins vs modern board, nice rig and expert skill.
    Richarli,
    I have been in aerospace industry since 1980. I am just trying to understand your reference to the lift/drag ratio. Lift.drag ratio of a hydrofoil is significantly higher compare to a planing board.
    The difference can be 4-10 times depending on the aspect ratio of the foil. It means that with the same lift (weight of the sailor) hydrofoil has 4-10 times less drag if correctly designed. when you say that flyfin has too much of drag do you mean that you see something in it that generates more drag? What that would be? I think the concept of flyfin is to reduce much of drag bu lifting the board up while adding negligible drag from the foil.

I have slingshot hydrofoi and I can set it so it works just like this flyfin. It pushes me up but not enough to fly. It is actually pleasant experience and I get on planing earlier. But my large foil has th huge mast, fuselage and stybiliser - all the extra drag. I think flyfin remove all these useles parts and becomes more effective in just lifting you up so you can plane sooner.

Intersting hybrid fin/foil concept. Time will tell if there is a market for these semi-foil fins. It will be sailors who are skeptical about foiling but they might look at semi-foiling as a cheaper option to join the fad. Or maybe from foilers who want a similar sensation to foiling in higher winds as semi-foiling is more stable and controllable. Or shallow water spots which are not suitable for foiling.
    I think right now the buzz of flying 1m in the air wind foiling is hard to beat. Maybe a novelty so semi-foiling the way forward in some conditions?

Could anyone please advise on a windsurfer hydrofoil on the market that can fly at minimum wind speed? What would be the minimum wind speed to fly? The reports are inconsistent. Manufacturers do not provide technical spec, for example: weight, sail size and wind speed to fly. Users report minimum wind speed 7 knots to fly a hydrofoil. I am asking because 8knots is good wind for fin/foil to get on planing based on frpgear sail selection chart
    Last edited by zakgear; 18th January 2018 at 12:01 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Early planing is a funny thing – because it's based on so many variables.

I'm in Cape Town and I watched top sailors get going on their foils in very light winds – but then the local skinny guy who is known for early planing went out on his standard slalom gear and got planing as early as the foilers were foiling.

If we then put that lightweight guy on the foil gear, would he plane/get up on the foils even earlier?

There is then the question of 'what foils' for light wind use and what shape/size foils for speed.

So you will never get tech specs for which foil does what in what wind strength because that will also depend on what board it's attached to and the biggest variable will be who is sailing it.
    We also watch the better foilers pump their kit up onto the foils, so there is a lot of technique involved in addition to sailor weight.

There's also the issue of where the foil is fitted to the board. In the windsurfing industry , the race is on to produce a slalom board that can be foiled in light winds but then can still be fitted with a conventional fin for windier weather. That seems to mean the foil is actually fitted too far back in the board – when, arguably, it might be better to fit the foils further forwards, perhaps between the foot straps.
    Last edited by basher; 19th January 2018 at 12:01 AM. Reason: would, not 'who'
    Now back in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by zakgear View Post
    Could anyone please advise on a windsurfer hydrofoil on the market that can fly at minimum wind speed? What would be the minimum wind speed to fly? The reports are inconsistent. Manufacturers do not provide technical spec, for example: weight, sail size and wind speed to fly. Users report minimum wind speed 7 knots to fly a hydrofoil. I am asking because 8knots is good wind for fin/foil to get on planing based on frpgear sail selection chart
    LOkEfoil LK1 1200 sq cm. It isn't the largest windfoil or necessarily the earliest to get going, but it is a light wind windfoil.

https://translate.googleusercontent....uPaHQXExOc8zUQ

https://translate.google.co.uk/trans...42&prev=search

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    Early planing is a funny thing because it's based on so many variables.
    I'm in Cape Town and I watched top sailors get going on their foils in very light winds but then the local skinny guy who is known for early planing went out on his standard slalom gear and got planing as early as the foilers were foiling.
    If to talk about this foil/fin and the advantage of a skinny guy, does it look like somebody like 80kg me can become as skinny as 40kg from my board's point of view so I can plane as early as the real skinny guy? Someone above brought up extra drag of fin foil but I am no convinced in the point. I think lift to drag ratio of such of fin foil can be easy as good as 20 like (Boeing 787 Dreamliner is 18) So, with lift of 40 kg I will get only 2 kg of extra drag. I think I can easy compensate 2 kg of extra drag with larger sail because I am as fat as 80kg. But my board will think that I am only 40 kg.

The sail can be pumped to give more power and the foil can be pumped to give more lift. eg.

The wind has 49/25 'twice' as much power at 7 knots than 5 knots, so in that wind range 1 knot is a very big difference.
    Last edited by boards_ronnie; 18th January 2018 at 01:00 PM.