Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zakgear View Post
    I think I came to this forum as zakgear to easy identify me.
    I just searched “zakgear” on Google. Yes, the entire first page results my zakgear work. Second page starts showing other zakgears. Google image search shows my work as much as you can scroll. How did you find zakgear on eBay?
    While giving a credit to this forum, if I may notice that in some cultures it may be considered unethical for the forum owner to research on the participants in intention to publish identities. But I have never lived in UK so it is your way to govern this.
    I apologize for interrupting this interesting discussion. Have fun. Zakgear.com
    Since you are the designer and manufacturer of the Fly-Fin, why not stick around and join the discussion? There is no need to hide. As long as everyone knows you are the manufacturer, I think most would be happy to hear what you have to say.

What kind of feedback are you getting from people who have used the fin?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	15894Great to be able to ask questions direct to the manufactures on forums and it's something which should be encouraged, and there's nowt wrong with pimping your products. Boogie (C3 fins used to regularly answer questions on another WS site, very useful.

I think there is mileage in these semi-foils, cheaper than full in foils and no need for a reinforced Tuttle box etc.

A couple of other fin companies, including Zulu fins have their own semi-foil too.
    Last edited by mark62; 18th January 2018 at 10:38 PM.

Views:	30 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	15895

The Virus fins

Views:	19 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	15904Attachment 15896

My my home made 70cm formula board version. Yet too try it out as its been pretty windy since making. So not sure how good/crap it'll be.
    Last edited by mark62; 22nd January 2018 at 11:39 PM.

Super Moderator
    Zakgear, for what it's worth, I googled your name because the forum's anti-spam software blocked your initial post.

It occasionally mistakes legitimate posts for spam. When this happens I check and restore them - as I did in your case.

Oddly, the same thing happened to 'FightingFools'.
    Last edited by MartinJ; 19th January 2018 at 06:39 AM.

This area is interesting. Whilst my foil is incredibly exciting and I dont regret it at all, I cant deny the limitations that 1) hassle of assembling it, disassembling it and cleaning it, 2) the hassle of needing to bring my big deep tuttle board along, 3) needing to have consistent deep water, 4) the learning curve / the pain of crashing....., 5) the cost. Its almost a different sport to windsurfing (road biking versus MTB).

If these radical winged fin designs can bring half the early planing and a quarter of the excitement of foiling, whilst being useable on normal boards that many of us carry, and without so much learning curve then they will be a useful development. I was particularly interested in the Virus type design with the wing halfway down the fin, rather than the design with the wing at the bottom, as I presume the halfway down approach means that if the wing breaks free you wont have quite the same falling off a cliff sensation as you get on a foil, as there will still be the bottom of the fin providing lateral support and a tiny bit of lift. I also guess this design is less susceptible to falling apart the instant you gently scrape the sandy bottom, and is easier to make stronger. Probably a bunch of downsides though.

Expanding a bit on the drag thingy....
    You have the front wing pushing up and the back wing pushing down so built in ineffiencies from the start. I can only assume because the fin fitment on a standard board is too far back for a foiling setup? In that case do we need a board designed from scratch for foiling rather than a compromise?
    Last edited by richarli; 19th January 2018 at 09:35 AM.