Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    nice house with horses, cats dogs, and bride. USA
    Their are other companies making the mini foil. Seabreeze forum has had several threads on these mini foils. It inspired me to make one, I used K4s , Fang as the fin and a set of quad fronts as the wing, 36 and 15 Leons stiff.
    I installed the wing with 1 degree angle of attack, rather than fit at the bottom , which I consider too fragile ,with obvious bottom contact, the wing it fitted about 1/3 down from the base, powerbox. This I used on a Tabou Rocket 140 which I have a lot of time on. Day 1 showed a lot of promise, the wind was near 12kts, the rear seemed to lift some, not near out of the water, their were no adverse reaction, a fast turn wasn’t possible to judge. I considered a slight improvement over a single fin. Day 2 with wind more like 13 + it’s right at the planing threashold for single or tri fin, the mini foil was draggy, hard to plane.
    Change to a single, performance much better. My conclusion is in lower winds the mini foil ‘could’ increase some quality time, at normal planing conditions its not an improvement. If one is already on their largest sail, to suggest go larger is a mute point.

The construction was to run a carbon batten through the fin into the base of the wing, epoxy with SGlass as support once set. Minimumal use but no structural issues thus far. Will get tested more in April ‘18.

The claims by the companies who are producing these IMO are far fetched, using % of this and that over, what.

This mini foil is one of 3, that I have made, the other 2 are for a windsup, with much smaller wings, that like to catch weeds.
    Last edited by tooold2dance; 21st January 2018 at 04:15 PM.

K4 Fins 4Boards TRI-sails Sailrepair

Quote Originally Posted by tooold2dance View Post
    Their are other companies making the mini foil. Seabreeze forum has had several threads on these mini foils.

It inspired me to make one, I used K4s , Fang as the fin and a set of quad fronts as the wing, 36 and 15 Leons stiff.

Good grief. Gosh.
    Can we have photos, please?
    Now back in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by mikerb View Post
    Whilst some seem to get a buzz from the "out of the water" foiling I have yet to see any real evidence of the initial claims of being able to plane in winds much lighter than can be achieved without the foil......with the right kit and good technique. If someone's primary aim is to be able to plane in light airs I reckon there is more mileage to be had identifying the right board and sail and tuning both for optimum low end performance.

I think the deal is, in light winds, that once you get going you go faster and stay planing/flying longer. The apparent wind thing is then comparable to that of an ice yacht, necessitating different sails.

In theory you then do that with a smaller rig.

It's already a different sport however, so direct comparisons are a bit pointless.

I took no interest in Kiting when it was new, simply because there was no light wind advantage for me. I now feel the same about foiling.
    But, if I regularly sailed big gear on flat water, in mostly lighter winds, then a foil board might be the thing. – Just as a longboard or a racing dinghy might be another preferred solution to that light wind/flat water 'problem'.

What we need is a foil product that offers light wind performance and fun, which conventional craft cannot offer in, say, 10-15 knots.

Each to his own.
    Last edited by basher; 22nd January 2018 at 12:40 AM.
    Now back in the UK.

nice house with horses, cats dogs, and bride. USA
    https://i.imgur.com/TYfdcMU.jpg

Sorry , no presentation but tab on abov link for photo.

Gosh gee

K4 Fins 4Boards TRI-sails Sailrepair

Quote Originally Posted by tooold2dance View Post
    https://i.imgur.com/TYfdcMU.jpg

Sorry , no presentation but tab on abov link for photo.

Gosh gee

Excellent.
    Have you tried it yet?

Presumably it would be worth testing on the same day with a similar length/identical vertical fin but without the added horizontal section.
    Now back in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    I think the deal is, in light winds, that once you get going you go faster and stay planing/flying longer. The apparent wind thing is then comparable to that of an ice yacht, necessitating different sails.
    that is precisely what I do not see in practise

Quote Originally Posted by mikerb View Post
    that is precisely what I do not see in practise
    I DO see this here - Foilers are using about 2m less sail in general. Seems they can get up on the foil with good technique with much less power than it would require to plane.