Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikerb View Post
    that is precisely what I do not see in practise
    The NP and F4 hydrofoils around here seem to get going with 1-1.5 m2 less sail. Put in a slower hydro, like a slingshot hoover, and you are able to get going (very slow) with an ever smaller sail.

That is significant, it simply means that you can go in lower winds using the same sail. Use a 9.5-9.8 and a hydrofoil and most events on the PWA circuits would probably have been completed last year.
    Last edited by duzzi; 24th January 2018 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by duzzi View Post
    The NP and F4 hydrofoils around here seem to get going with 1-1.5 m2 less sail. Put in a slower hydro, like a slingshot hoover, and you are able to get going (very slow) with an ever smaller sail.

That is significant, it simply means that you can go in lower winds using the same sail. Use a 9.5-9.8 and a hydrofoil and most events on the PWA circuits would probably have been completed last year.
    I get that the guys can get planing with a smaller sail and the potential for normal sailors not needing the expensive big sail combo to get planing. I get that completely.
    The issue here is can a foil get planing in less wind than a big sail setup. I don't think so.

I agree, at the moment the practical advantage for most is rig size, I estimate I can get up at very similar windspeed on my 7m as with the 8.5m and a big fin - though I'm sure I can can glide thru' bigger lulls (a formula setup would be very close though). However this is using non dedicated sails and boards (which makes sense for most of us).

The evidence from the PWA seems pretty clear , eg from Day6 Noumea "while the wind may have been too light for further slalom, it was still possible to complete three more foil eliminations". As yet they're using their slalom boards, so there could be more to come. Slalom having a speed edge once up and ruinning is a different matter. I can easily believe that, not because the foil has more drag, but because it's possible to transfer more power via a fin.

Back on topic, Steve Allen was reported to have used a semi-foil in a foil race, will be interesting to see if he continues with that.

nice house with horses, cats dogs, and bride. USA
    The thread origination was/is a semi foil, called T, mini foil or whatever , a proper foil is much different , as always we morph into surrounding topics

K4 Fins 4Boards TRI-sails Sailrepair

Quote Originally Posted by richarli View Post
    I get that the guys can get planing with a smaller sail and the potential for normal sailors not needing the expensive big sail combo to get planing. I get that completely.
    The issue here is can a foil get planing in less wind than a big sail setup. I don't think so.
    I think the main point of the foil is the sensation, the flying out of the water. And in addition I think it is not arguable that it buys you some additional low end performance. Put the same sail on a foil and regular board and the foil will take off earlier.

Now, if the 'fly fin' does the same, buy you some additional low end, it would be great. There is a long thread on windsurfing33 about the "pocket foil", a much smaller version of the the "fly fin" with a tiny wing at the tip: https://translate.google.com/transla...%2F&edit-text=

We'll see ... I kind of feel sorry that there is so much wind where I live ... I'd love to experiment with steady 8-10 knots!
    Last edited by duzzi; 24th January 2018 at 07:04 PM.

There is probably a lot of benefits to a semi foiling system that foils at high speeds. It amazes me just how slow a normal foiler ( eg NP alufoil, which isn't biggest by any means)
    easily produces enough lift to pick up my not inconsiderable bulk at 6 mph (probably less?) I,ve experimented behind boat and at 6mph boat speed there is ample lift to foil..To me that suggests for our windsurf type speeds (???) it is on large size.. I,d certainly like to try a smaller system , which would probably require 15 mph or so for full.lift...but there might be issues getting to 15mph ( ie smaller foil would have more drag than standard windsurfer to start with, and I,m not sure about board drag..would it be less if foiler was only helping..not foiling???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjEDlyBMAGc

I think somebody was questioning whether a foil would get going quicker than a regular board.....I think His Excellency RN finally puts that to rest here...and reiterates the emphasis on "fun"...Last year n Maui, I was well powered on a 5.5 and the only foiler was having fun (fully planning/flying) on a 3.5...
    And so after 100's of (excellent) pages on foiling, its the King that almost moves me to order one ! Thank the Lord he's not selling double glazing!