Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    nice house with horses, cats dogs, and bride. USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphie View Post
    There is probably a lot of benefits to a semi foiling system that foils at high speeds. It amazes me just how slow a normal foiler ( eg NP alufoil, which isn't biggest by any means)
    easily produces enough lift to pick up my not inconsiderable bulk at 6 mph (probably less?) I,ve experimented behind boat and at 6mph boat speed there is ample lift to foil..To me that suggests for our windsurf type speeds (???) it is on large size.. I,d certainly like to try a smaller system , which would probably require 15 mph or so for full.lift...but there might be issues getting to 15mph ( ie smaller foil would have more drag than standard windsurfer to start with, and I,m not sure about board drag..would it be less if foiler was only helping..not foiling???
    The fin length and wing affair , yes is major concern . Too much will hamper things , too small not nough juice. The one size fits all theory , IMO doesn’t work. I’m going to try another on a Hypersonic 105, if anyone has thoughts on length of the fin and position of the wing, shape of it , be delighted to read it.

K4 Fins 4Boards TRI-sails Sailrepair

Any pictures of your mini foils toooold2dance?

Been too much wind lately to try mine out. 70cm formula fin, 40cm wing, 33% from the top of the fin. The angle of the wing matches the bottom of the board.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	15920  

Quote Originally Posted by mark62 View Post
    Any pictures of your mini foils toooold2dance?

Been too much wind lately to try mine out. 70cm formula fin, 40cm wing, 33% from the top of the fin. The angle of the wing matches the bottom of the board.
    see post #38 for the link.

I have seen yours on the Seabreeze forum.

https://i.imgur.com/KpG0rFj.jpg

THESE 2 are windsup specific, above collects too many weeds on the wing tips.

below is a nice design with the wing very similar to the Spitfire.

Works nicely.

https://i.imgur.com/ny32XH8.jpg

The more I watch foiling the more I am convinced it is never going to have the longevity of other areas of the sport. Innovation is great, and I am sure many will love to try it. However, it seems niche even in the niche sport of windsurfing. It also looks about as boring as golf.

I have just watched this video and while Sam looks very skilled at it, I can think of better things to be doing on light wind days.

https://www.windsurf.me.uk/video/327...v3-hcgzww.html

I agree. K215 referred to the RN video and that is the closest I have seen to some real purpose for the foil design.....even there though it has to be recognised that it is being demo-ed by one of the best windsurfers on the planet . His mate sailing alongside him also on the foil????.....he never flies however!! In that video it features a purpose designed board and a dedicated low wind foil. No real speed but apparently lots of low end performance. It also ideally needs partnering with a low tension sail. I wonder what happens to that kit if the wind picks up?
    Personally I have thought from the outset that the niche for a foil was those places ( usually in the sunshine) that get constant light thermal winds....no more than 9/10 kts, not gusty and never get any stronger. That niche is maybe only applicable to inland waters in the UK? To fill that niche is nevertheless damned expensive.......even more so if you hit anything!

We had little wind in Cape Town today so I was out on my SUP, catching small waves. Then, upwind of me, I spotted a kite flying, and I thought how's he even getting that thing airborne in such a light wind which was less than 10knots?
    The kite itself was one of those tubed/quilted things, rather than the conventional, single skin type.
    Was the kiter just being body dragged around?

But then someone popped out of the water and it was a kiter on foils. I couldn't believe how he was going along comfortably in such a light wind. The water was glassy. He was gliding along and making no noise.

And I hear that another kiter won the Downwind Dash on foils at the weekend. The same guy has won two years' running and he's foil/kiting in strong wind, with the foil allowing him to ride above the waves and unaffected by chop.

Seems to me that we have developing technology here and who knows where it will eventually land?

The mistake so far is to see foiling as a branch of kiting or of windsurfing, and to then judge it on that basis. That view then limits the foils to something that can be added to existing boards.

It's perhaps curious that that is also how the International Moth class developed into a foiling dinghy class, whilst using existing hull shapes which have remained the same over twenty years. But the foils themselves have come a long way. What would happen if they then changed the hull rules?

I'd say: Give this time.
    Last edited by basher; 29th January 2018 at 10:02 PM.
    Now back in the UK.