Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Well, it sure isn't cheap in... but the Volvo XC90 is a really nice family/surfgear car.

I have driven both the S-Max and XC90, and a bit to my surprise the XC90 actually is bigger on the inside and has a longer load length. In the S-Max, the driving position is fairly far back, despite the car being a MPV. Most likely, it is because of the Mondeo-shared platform.

The cars are actually not that different in size, even if the XC90 looks a fair bit bigger. I think that Volvo has done a really good job when it comes to maximising interior size and space in the XC90.

S-max
    Length; 480 cm
    Width: 192 cm (exkl. mirrors)
    Height: 166

XC90
    Length: 495 cm
    Width: 192 cm
    Height: 177 cm
    Rig - Simmer vMax 7.2, Enduro 5.9, Black Tips 5.3 - 3.7, Tricera 5.0, HSM FL 5.7
    Boards - Simmer Hoogal 84 (custom), Simmer Freegal 100, Flikka 95 (proto), and 83 (tweaked Core line), Fanatic Blast 115

Moderates www.surfzone.se, wind and wave community in Sweden

XC90 on a 10/15 k budget?

In my dreams.

Agree Volvo has done an excellent job with the XC90 XC60 (new and old versions) all SUV's.
    But in my opinion forgot about the rest.
    V40 pretty but small and impractical
    V60 pretty much the same.
    V90 excellent until you see the back, just doesn't look right.

Have you looked at a Mazda 6 tourer? The one I drove was quite nice and had loads of room. With part of the seat folded down sails can go in and masts pushed down the side at an angle. This makes it a little awkward for the front seat passenger getting in and out if you have 490 masts but shorter ones are barely a problem.

+1 for Mazda 6 tourer. Good to drive. Loads of room good mpg. The newer models are much better finished inside and out so will likely be upgrading to that soon.

[QUOTE=AndySG;1067677]XC90 on a 10/15 k budget?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...us=1500&page=1

it will run for ever!
    Currently on Simmer Blacktips, Simmer Frugal 77, Fanatic Stubby 88, JP xcite ride 120 and AHD Summerboard windsup.

The superb is huge, correct me if I am wrong but the biggest estate on the market. Good mpg compared to any of the 4 x 4s which are lugging around masses of extra weight. Superb is also good value and highly rated in terms of reliability. Read the owner reviews in autotrader, its a great guide. Agree the s max is cheaply built but certainly cavernous and a very popular family choice. Just bought a c class mercedes as my beloved saab 9 3 was getting a little too old and after research upon research would have gone for the skoda but reasoned that i didn't need acres of space inside and bought a quiverrack and the posh top spec german option (although still dream of a T5!)

As I mentioned above, while the Superb is big the way the seats fold makes things a little restrictive. Two chaps at work have them as company cars but they are not windsurfers so would not encounter this issue. Because you have to fold the rear seat base up to fold the back down you cannot then fully lower backwards the front seat. As such, putting boards inside is not possible without obscuring the side window fully. Even a much smaller car like an Astra allows for the nose of boards to end up in the passenger footwell due to the way the seats fold. The Superb is a great car, as long as you do not want to put long objects like windsurf boards inside. Also beware of the green line models. They sit really low to the ground to aid economy, but bottom out on the slightest bump. I drove one into Hayling car park once and it hit the deck at lest three times. Chap at work scrapes his sills every time he reverses out of his sloping drive.