Road trip September

I am trying to research options for a road trip early September. Never done one before but fancy tiree or Brandon bay, bit surprised by ferry costs but hey ho, anywhere else should consider, maybe west coast France. It's me my 18 year old son and van full of gear, don't mind camping or b and b.

I've been to Brandon Bay a couple of times, in the 90's. If you include Inch & Ventry on the south of Dingle you can sail in most wind directions.

If you want to just sail there and not move around the country how about AirBnb book a house for €61 a night. We booked a cottage the 1st time I went.
    https://www.airbnb.ie/s/Castlegregor...s_tag=f8h6i7dH

The 2nd time I went on my own and stayed at Orchard House B&B in Castlegregory. Fantastic place, drying room for wetsuit, great home baking etc. Opposite the pub. Looks like its still there but might be different owners by now. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.25...7i13312!8i6656

I've been to La Rochelle/Ille de Re in my van. There are loads of campsites at all budget/facility levels. It was a bit tidal, a long walk to the waters edge at low tide. Le Tranche sur Mer was better in that respect. If I was going to go back to France I would head to Brittany/Finistere.

September is a good time to go to Tiree, statistically the windiest month (nothing guaranteed), warm not crowded but always other people to sail with (drink with too). I've been to Tiree every year for the last 26 years, often more than once and I've always had a great time.

The best thing about Tiree, it doesn't matter about wind direction, tides, or wave size. You can always find somewhere to sail what ever your sailing level, all within 20 minutes drive. Make sure you take everything. We take: wave kit, big kit, surfboards, SUP, mountain bikes and any other toys we can think of! You can hire kit from Willie at Wild Diamond: SUPs, Surfboards, Wave kit, Kayaks and bikes from several places. You should be able to fine a cheapish small cottage in September, there's a whole range pricewise http://www.isleoftiree.com/accommodation/ or a good option is to talk to Dave at the Mill house hostel.

We go for 3 weeks in August every year and have never spent more than 2000 for 2 adults and 3 kids including diesel, ferries, cottage rental (we share with another family) food and alcohol. As you can probably tell it's my favourite place!

We went to southern Ireland in 1986 for 3 weeks and only sailed 2 days (unlucky I guess) so never went back!

I,ll second above post. But I couldn't get accommodation on Tiree so went to Barra ...for 6 weeks. Was fantastic . I,ll be heading for Leucate Sept or Oct tho..much warmer , I think windier ( but debatable) and easier to get to..I love that area Sept/ Oct/ Nov. All crowds gone, plenty of places to sail and still shortie weather. ( different sailing though, can be waves in Marin but its Tramontane 75% of time) So its high wind B&J on etangs or speedsailing Franqui/ Gruissan. But wave sailing St Cyprien / Canet Plage in Marin.
    Last edited by Alphie; 20th January 2018 at 01:15 PM.

Thanks for the replies, do the ferries get booked up or shall I leave it see where the wind is and take what ever accommodation can get. I am kind of thinking tiree though

We didn't have problems with Ferry ( unless its windy..they can be delayed..postponed a lot) but then again we were heading for Barra...I,d book early to be on safe side. Its a great crossing.

If you are going to Tiree in September which is outside the Scottish school holidays the ferry won't be a problem and you should be able to find accommodation easily enough. Everything can get booked up in August.