Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tiree

Tiree

Hi all, a previous thread has got me thinking of visiting Tiree in September.

I'll be travelling with a non-windsurfing wife plus dog, driving up from SE England. According to the AA it takes about 9hours from us to Oban. Pretty sure that a number of you have done this (Twofish?).

Any tips? Did you drive through the night and then catch the ferry or stop off somewhere? Presumably the sensible thing is to do a supermarket shop in Oban before catching the ferry?

Any recommendations on where to stay in Tiree to make the most of the beaches and what the island has to offer?

Thanks in anticipation.

Mylo

cannot help re the journey as I live up north (it is 2 hours from Glasgow to Oban is all I know) but in terms of where in Tiree, you will end up driving when you are there anyway to get to the beach so it does not matter to much - biggest problem we have ever had is finding available accommodation - this is more likely to decide where you are staying rather than which beach you want to be next to

Hi Mylo, We used to drive up (from London) on the Friday and park in the ferry queue overnight (you can't do this anymore so you'd have to get B&B in Oban, we now stay with friends). Driving overnight is OK as long as you don't break down. You can sleep a bit on the ferry.

The Co-op on Tiree is probably better than your local supermarket & it's open every day until ten so you don't need to stock up but you might want to fill up with fuel at the Esso station at Dunbeg as fuel is a mad price on Tiree.

You can find accommodation here: http://www.isleoftiree.com/accommodation/ . There should be places available in September.

Willie Angus at http://www.wilddiamond.co.uk/ can advise you where's the best place to sail depending on your skill and wind & wave / direction

Take all the 'toys' you can but you can hire everything you haven't got.

Don't let the dog chase the sheep & Mrs Mylo spend all your money in the art & craft shops!

Several times Mylo, though most time I have met up with a group there, normally as a part of the BWA event (and the one time I rocked up on my own, I was found and taken in by Wully & Mrs Wully). In my view, it's best not to kill yourself on the drive up if you can spare the time. I have done some overnighters, but it's a shame to miss some of the scenery on the way. The last time I went up I broke the journey at a camp site in the lakes (pleasant site, lake view, pub dinner, sadly I can't remember which site. [Edit] Yes I can - this one.) and that worked well. I have also kipped overnight in the van near the docks in Oban a couple of times. Oban is a pleasant enough town for an evening too.

As BMG says, it's surprising what the Co-op on Tiree can produce, but taking some supplies is a good idea (not least so you don't strip the Co-op shelves bare for the locals.) Oban has a decent sized Tesco and an Aldi about 5 mins from the ferry.

For accommodation, I've normally rented a group house from the Hynish Centre, but that's really only an option if there's a gang of you going. I suspect you'll be Googling for a rental cottage. They're are quite a few and the ones I've seen tend to be of a pretty good standard. I'm not sure location matters too much, unless you need to be within walking distance of the pub. That aside, one of the joys of Tiree is that everything is within a short drive of everything else.

Oh, and with the caveat it's been a few years since I was last there (2011?), check your mobile phone will work there. Not all networks did, so you may need to take a spare SIM.
    Last edited by TwoFish; 31st January 2018 at 12:54 PM.
    Eeeh 'tis grim dahn Sarf.

I start from Basingstoke at about 4am in my van. Get to Glasgow by midday and have the afternoon and evening in Glasgow. then get up early next day and o the relatively short trip to Oban. Summer timetable allows this as there is an afternoon ferry, also get a couple of hours in Oban.

Stayed in a few places but it doesn't really matter as you wont get stuck in traffic jams if the spot you want to sail is the other end of the island :-)

Go, its the best place I have windsurfed that's for sure!!

yes take all the toys you can.

Other things: Take spare fins (wild diamond stock most things you might need but there are too many fin options to cover them all), only O2 & Vodaphone work on Tiree and badly at that so if you want internet make sure you accommodation has WiFi (most have).

Guys, thanks very much for this. Will digest and work out options.