Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Kiting ??

Kiting ??

I,m in Vietnam at moment. Love he place. Had 4 solid afternoons sailing and decided to take a break and watch today..from Jibes, about 3 miles down wind from where I,ve been launching. Conditions were gnarly to say the least. A 25 knot cross onshore to virtually onshore was blowing. Its not a good launch for windsurfers down here but about 6 brave souls ventured out...to compete with I,d guess 70 kiters.
    The kiters made the conditions look relatively easy..they could float over white water and had the smaller turning radius to manoeuvre in the closely spaced waves. Their launch was loads easier in the bad shore break, with kites 30 ft above the white water...all in all I was impressed...In ideal conditions no doubt WS is way to go but today really made me think I,ve stuck with wrong sport. The windsurfers out made it look hard...the kiters easy !
    Might even have another go...
    I,m exploring for a few days. Looking for some flat water..Cant believe how reliable and constant wind is here. Every pm without fail so far. Going to look at Phan Rang tomorrow...long trip from Mui Ne but wtf.
    Last edited by Alphie; 12th February 2018 at 03:44 PM.

You can always do both to suit the conditions you are presented with. A lot of people doing that down our way.

Why not. Personally I have no interest in regular kiting (slow, with limited range, too hard if not impossible in really high winds) but if I was 10 years younger I would invest 5 years learning Kite Hydrofoil. The performance is stunning in a still small package.
    Last edited by duzzi; 12th February 2018 at 04:20 PM.

if you have a deadwish you can always talk with us about it, there is really no need for drastic actions you might regret later.
    188x92kg 43y old, Supper/Windsurfer.

Witchcraft Flextail 104l + Witchcraft V4 86l HDD

2016/17 Hotsails KS3: 5.5+5.2+4.9+4.6+4.0+3.4 Ultra + Kauli + CAAS masts, AL360+ TL cont@ct booms lots of fins.

SUP Starboard 2015 Airborne 8.8x31.5x123l / Pro8.5x29x112l / Race14x25 / 2012 AST Coastrunner 14x28 / Gong9.4x29x135 Freak

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Totally, why not?
    Of the six months I spent in the Caribbean half the time it was light and kiting was the way to be on the water. I did private lessons and was up and running going upwind and picking up the board that slipped off my feet in four hours of lessons.
    Better start now Alphie while your body permits so when you are getting old and decrepit you’ve done already the hard work and you can keep going because it’s easy on the body.
    That’s what I did with my kitting initiation and with windfoiling.
    Do it while you still can.

Thanks Nave...I,ll learn asap. First time I,ve watched and studied what they can do...was really impressed..Not sure Mui Ne is the place to start....Home soon.

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphie View Post
    Thanks Nave...I,ll learn asap. First time I,ve watched and studied what they can do...was really impressed..Not sure Mui Ne is the place to start....Home soon.
    Do it in warm water and summer or tropical conditions it is sooo much easier because you’d body joints are warm and more flexible. Less chance of silly aches.