Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Kiting ??

Do it in the spot where all the windsurfers launch and land; especially so if there's white water involved. Lay all your string and parasol stuff out across the route from the car park. Launch and land your kite just where small children are building sand castles on the beach, or where old dears are walking along the seafront enjoying an ice cream. Do your twirly-whirlies just where the windsurfers need to waterstart out of the impact zone. Otherwise you'll never be seen as a proper kitesurfer.
    Eeeh 'tis grim dahn Sarf.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoFish View Post
    Do it in the spot where all the windsurfers launch and land; especially so if there's white water involved. Lay all your string and parasol stuff out across the route from the car park. Launch and land your kite just where small children are building sand castles on the beach, or where old dears are walking along the seafront enjoying an ice cream. Do your twirly-whirlies just where the windsurfers need to waterstart out of the impact zone. Otherwise you'll never be seen as a proper kitesurfer.
    Excellent advice as always from Schweifische..

Kiting has all but replaced my short boarding, it can't replace my Tuesday long race boarding, but then sailing dinghies is beginning to encroach on that bit having just ordered the smallest lightest trapeze boat to race on thursdays and sundays.

My advice don't be tied to the one thing, I was at the point where all that was happening was watching my short board skills degrade (usually through injury), better to take up something new, it's nice to be on a path of improvement so each time you go out you try to get better, something that could never happen to my windsurfing.

The day (very early in my kite career) I entered a tube of a wave out in Dom Rep, then when it closed out, backed the kite and exited through the roof, board leashed t0 my foot and two minutes later I was off again realising there was so much more potential from kites in waves.

Kites are still improving, I've even managed to find a Mistral/North in its hey day equivalent (the owner is an ex North Employee from back in those days) and it's a real pleasure to witness all the subtle equipment changes which are no longer happening at the same pace in windsurfing and kiters? They're the same people as all of you, (including the muppets that you cannot deny also windsurf) so my advice try it before you rubbish it, for the price of a new windsurfing board you can get a kite, bar and board with all the range you need for a while if you keep your kiting for 5-6 mtr weather and windsurf from 4.7 weather down.

As others have said: why not? I would probably do a few other watersports (kiting and SUP etc) if the wind wasn't so consistent here. But I get >200 good windsurfing days per year here ('good' <= 5.3m sail) so there's really no need. When there's not enough wind I'm either in rest & recovery mode or I go Mtb-ing - which I like because it gets me out into the remote areas of Tenerife, up in the mountains and forests.

Ever since I had an 'incident' with a German kiter here a few years ago (resulting in a fist fight) things have mellowed with me and them, and now I'm relaxed about kiters. We can't un-invent it, but I'm pleased that I had many years windsurfing without them around.
    -----------------------------
    Currently writing the World's first Windsurfing Novel: 'Too Close to the Wind' - watch this space!
    ps check out my musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    -----------------------------
    Boards: Quatro Supermini Thrusters: 94 & 85
    Sails: Severne Blades.

Last summer, I was sat on a beach where a kite instructor was giving a lesson to a gathered group of eager pupils. He laid out the kite, created the wall then up went the kite. The kite had somehow managed to pick up a large quantity of the brown stuff which then rained down on the aforementioned group. The screams were astonishing. I almost had an accident I was laughing so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Navegante View Post
    Do it in warm water and summer or tropical conditions it is sooo much easier because you’d body joints are warm and more flexible. Less chance of silly aches.
    I would but not quite firing on all four just yet !!! ( well timing due to be sorted soon)
    Def post March will be getting kite...if timing sorted all the better...if it ain't....feck it..

At moment can WS for an hour ..have a break and have another go...

Def coming back to Vietnam but not Mui Ne.. Found a fantastic venue further north...Phan Rang...there's a 300 m x 700m lagoon with perfect flat water blasting taking you out to nice well spaced waves. Today was 34kts steady all pm..No WS hire but Phi Kite/ Surf safari/ and Vietnam kite surf will all arrange transfers / storage..Its one of those places recently discovered...wont be same soon...It really is stunning and folk running all of places just sooo friendly...( more than can be said of Russian places in Mui Ne) Having seen Phan Rang no way I,d come back to Mui Ne..but enjoying Mui Ne, after a week the Russians are just starting to speak..They are quite aggressive and so different to Vietnamese, who are friendliest people I,ve ever met.
    Had a beef curry last night...was incredible...£2.85...lovely bottle of red wine...£2.50...in a superb setting..
    But dont drive here. ( you cant hire cars yet anyway)
    They drive on right hand side of road but...overtake on right aswell.! ( seriously) On dual carriageways lorries take up fast lane and faster traffic must undertake..but slower bikes/ mopeds/ c90,s / powered rickshwas/ Honda 90,s with trailers welded on are all in what would be our hard shoulder...so you have to undertake lorries and overtake whatever is currently crashing on hard shoulder. Its utter madness...but somehow works..( also you have to watch out for occasion rogue motorbike going against flow of traffic...on that unbelievably crowded ( and narrow) hard shoulder.. Horns are blaring continually...but nobody gets angry...its amazing.

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Alphie your account of Vietnam sounds very interesting.
    With Mrs Navigatrix we had been discussing going to new places for family windsurfing/kiting/cycling holidays.

An interesting destination that may merit a dedicated Thread.

Thank you and keep well over there.
    N

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Quote Originally Posted by phill104 View Post
    Last summer, I was sat on a beach where a kite instructor was giving a lesson to a gathered group of eager pupils. He laid out the kite, created the wall then up went the kite. The kite had somehow managed to pick up a large quantity of the brown stuff which then rained down on the aforementioned group. The screams were astonishing. I almost had an accident I was laughing so much.
    Where was that?
    Places I’ve been to and taken lessons, Antigua, Hyeres in France, Lake Garda...
    Schools have a large rib from where lessons are given one to one and away from beaches and civilians.
    So minimal risks.