Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Slalom training Lanzarote

Will try to get some names as it develops. Kirosh Kiani is hosting an all comers slalom training week here, guys and gals. My god they are f**king quick when you see then up close.

I was there last week and they were out then as well. Impressively quick but it’s the little things with pro’s that always impress me. Sailing at Las Cucharas beech is tricky. You lunch into a very sheltered bay with a big wind shadow from a hotel complex on the point compounded by a small harbour wall. It’s as gusty as it gets and many people resort to swimming out to the end of the wall. There is also significantly more wind upwind of the main bay so keeping high is the name of the game.

Watching these guys launch was impressive, they just hoped on and slogged out to the wall skimming the end and turning even higher upwind, as soon as they hit a gust they were off, a tiny adjustment of line and position and they were in the straps and hammering up into the wind. A position that I would be pleased to get to after 2 runs out and back and 20+ mins of sailing.

PS, I was out on a rented Fanatic Blast (a relatively new stubby freeride shape). Great board, fast and comfortable in chop and the short length + big surface area really does give it a best of both worlds feel, planes early and feels like you can throw it around, jumps well. The only downside is that I was on the 115l with a 7.5m and it was possibly a touch small to really get the best out of the low end range of a sail that big, the next size up is a 130l which seems a bit big to me, I’d be torn as to which to get. Looking at the width/length stats I think the 130l is probably the one for me (at 85kg).

Well it's been starboard tack all week which is unusual to say the least.
    I picked up some names that mean nothing to me really. They are all as you would expect young, fit, tall and disgustingly good looking.
    Sail sponsors gaastra, avantI, pryde, point 7. What's more impressive than the speed is the way they go round the corner and how early they flick their very big sails.

Aren't a lot of pro sailors slalom training on Tenerife too?

The other news for all the Canaries is that they have had some massive swells recently. Which means some pro sailors will have referred to go wave sailing.
    Now back in the UK.

There seems plenty to train for in slalom for 2018, 6 events on the calendar so far. Hopefully they will also return to Hvide Sande and Noumea as well. There was talk about returning to Alacati as well.

https://www.pwaworldtour.com/index.php?id=2180

https://youtu.be/ArfAn1FeItg?t=4m46s

Looks good fun out there.

How fast do those go?
    Boards: F2 Gorilla 76, Tabou Quadster 86, Fanatic Triwave 95, Starboard Kombatwave 96, F2 Stoke 115, JPFreeRace 125, Sails: Gaastra Poison 4.2, North Hero 4.2, North Ice 4.7, Simmer Icon 5.3, Gaastra Cross 6, Ezzy Elite 6.1, Tushingham Storm 6.5, Severne Turbo 7.5