Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Exclamation Problem to keep my backfoot into the strap.

Hello everybody, I ask you some suggestion about the position of my back foot while windsurfing.

I am currently using a JP-Australia freestyle wave 101lt and I have positioned the footstraps in “wave position”, that I mean the front straps more internal and the back one as single.
    As you know this kind of “wide body” boards are short and wide, with a wider tail.

Here is the issue: while surfing I am not able to keep my backfoot strong into the footstrap, without feeling confident at all, in particular, when I go a little bit upwind foot is very loose into the strap and sometimes it goes out of the strap…and when you gong fast it is very dangerous.

I have “temporary” solved this issue by placing the straps in a “slalom position” more external near the edge of the board, but I much more like the “wave position” as I want more manoeuvrability.

Now, the question is: does anybody of you have the same issue? And how did you solve it? It could be a problem of harness or what else?

I am really frustrating about this issue…

Many thank to all your suggestions!

I used to have a JP fsw. I used it with a single back strap and it was fine. If I used a bigger fin (32cm) I had to move my foot back towards the rail of the board a bit to hold down the fin. When going upwind you should be driving the fin so I don't know why your foot is coming out the strap. Maybe make the strap a bit tighter which should make it feel more secure.

This is a stance issue. Most newbies have the opposite problem – where they overload the back foot and have little load on the front foot.
    It sounds like you are constantly about to catapult.

I can't see how adding a second strap to the board tail helps you put more weight there, so that seems odd.

We need more information here:

What size fin are you using?
    Where are you placing the mast foot in the track?
    What size sails are we talking about?
    How long have you been windsurfing – and is this your first short board?
    Last edited by basher; 9th March 2018 at 01:49 PM.
    Now back in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailrepair View Post
    I used to have a JP fsw. I used it with a single back strap and it was fine. If I used a bigger fin (32cm) I had to move my foot back towards the rail of the board a bit to hold down the fin. When going upwind you should be driving the fin so I don't know why your foot is coming out the strap. Maybe make the strap a bit tighter which should make it feel more secure.
    Thank you Sailrepair for you kind reply!

I am currently use the standard fin of 29 that comes with the board...

I am sure that is a problem between me, the sail and the harness.... I am windsurfing since 1982...Now I understand that these boards require a new and/or different concept of riding, but I am really frustrating...

I assume this JP is a board you have bought recently. If so, was your previous board a more freeride type with harder rails which you sailed with a double backstrap. I'm guessing you might be trying to sail it the same way with the rear foot pushing against the fin laterally which is easier with the foot nearer the rail, whereas the JP you might need to have a more upright stance. Without more information or video/pictures its hard to give any advice on a forum.

Hello Phil, my previous board was a Mistral Score 99 liters and I used surfing with straps in wave mode with single back strap.

I alsmost sure this is a matter of harness/harness lines and my "old" position on the board "with the rear foot pushing against the fin laterally"...

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    This is a stance issue. Most newbies have the opposite problem – where they overload the back foot and have little load on the front foot.
    It sounds like you are constantly about to catapult.

I can't see how adding a second strap to the board tail helps you put more weight there, so that seems odd.

We need more information here:

Hello basher and thank you for your kind reply!

Here follow I will answer to your questions:

The board is a JP Australia Freestyle-Wave 101 (MY2014)

The standard fin that comes with the board of cm 29

Usually I keep in the middle of the track

We are talking of 6.2 and 5.3 sails. The issue is more accentuated with 6.2 sail than with 5.3

I am surfing since 1982 with a stop within 2007 and 2014.
    I was used to the traditional board that were more long and less wide. My previous board was a Mistral Score 99 (MY 2000) and before that an RRD 96 (MY1996) completely different boards...

I was also used with short harness lines, approx 22(max 24) inch, and now I am trying to get confidence with 26/28 inch harness lines, but I not very used to keep the sail too far from the body because while surfing - sometimes - I accidentally unhook.

It's incredible but - with the traps in wave mode - I really cannot push with my backfoot on the tail, so I am in difficulty going upwind or simply crosswind.