Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tooold2dance View Post
    How long is the fin, how long is the wing, where is the wing located, what degree angle of attack , is the wing symmetrical ,so both sides with a foil ???? A 5.5 then smaller seems large on the BIC.
    I cut the bottom 5 cm. off a 55 cm. race fin i didn't ever use. I cut the bottom maybe 4 inches off the FRP fly-fin model 2017 which was a disaster to sail but did give lift. I sanded both fins flat to the center with a belt sander for that 4 inches and then epoxied them together. My computer now shows pictures on 2 posts ahead of yours; one with 2 pieces and one with them glued together. You can get some of the specs of the fly fin from FRP or I will measure it tonight... I have mounted the fin with about 9 degrees of attack and it self adjusts to about 5 degrees as it goes faster! With the wind speed at about 20 km/hr it has moved to the 5 degrees. I don't understand the second comment. If 5.5 and 4.1 sails are too large, what the heck size sails do you use?

I took yesterday off windsurfing to play table tennis, but back windsurfing today.

I love this fin. This morning the wind was averaging 12 km/hr to 19 km/hr. So actual wind was maybe 9 km./hr. to 23 km./hr. I used my 5.5 sail with cams in and had a wonderful time sailing. The board just coasted now and then, but planed up beautifully whenever the wind picked up or gusted and seemed to plane thru fairly large holes in the wind if I kept one foot in the rear strap and one in front of the front strap. There was NO yanking sensation with a 23 km./hr gust; the board just planed up smoothly but quicker.

After lunch, the wind was much steadier at 18 km./hr to 19 km./hr average. So gusts up to 24 km./hr. It was actually quite boring just getting on the plane and cruising back and forth the 3 km. width of the beach. I have a torn shoulder injury which prevents me from practicing too may jibes. After the difficulty jibing 2 days ago, I just put less pressure on the outside rail, turned in a larger circle, and worked on exactly what angle I could put the board on without it flipping. At lower speeds I could feel the flip before it happened and adjust. When I try again with greater speed I will step closer to the rear and see if the flip force will spin the board around instead of flipping it.....

So far my glue job has held up well. The fin has remained intact after hitting the bottom 5 or 6 times going in or out. The bottom is different depths at different places. Also the fin hooked on an extra long buoy rope and catapulted me but the fin survived.

Quote Originally Posted by RazeR69 View Post
    I don't understand the second comment. If 5.5 and 4.1 sails are too large, what the heck size sails do you use?
    I think what Toold is saying is most would not use a sail that small with a board that big(130liters) - especially the 4.1.

nice house with horses, cats dogs, and bride. USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgesailor View Post
    I think what Toold is saying is most would not use a sail that small with a board that big(130liters) - especially the 4.1.
    correct. Too large for the size board. A 4.1 I would be on a 75 or 83 liter if powered up. 130L is 7.0 range —6.0

K4 Fins 4Boards TRI-sails Sailrepair

O.K. I agree with that, but 2 things: One, it's the only board I have here and there are no other boards around right now. Two, without this fin yesterday morning and winds 9 gusting to 24 km./hr I would have been on a 7.5 sail and then maybe on the 5.5 later as the wind stayed for longer bursts in the high end. And I would not have had much fun!

The reason I purchased the fly fin and the reason I remained excited about its possibilities even after it totally sucked, was the possibility of using 2 meter smaller sails. At home I sail in an inland lake where the normal wind is 14 km./hr gusting to 28 km./hr in a different direction. I use a 7.5 sail or an 8.5 sail exclusively and at 70 years of age they are just too big to uphaul or waterstart more than a few times. Being able to use a 5.5 and a 6.5 will be a godsend!

I'm also not sure exactly how the fin, at the length I've made it, will work on a smaller board. And I'm not sure if the normal progression of downward board size with sail size will apply since the wind strength alone does not suggest a smaller board.

Anyway, at home I have a 118 l. board and a 105 l. board both given to me because others found them useless on our lake. I shall certainly try them out on the 4 or 5 days of steady wind we get in 6 months on our lake.....

nice house with horses, cats dogs, and bride. USA
    Different matter if it’s ALL you have,or have available .
    Understood

K4 Fins 4Boards TRI-sails Sailrepair