Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Quote Originally Posted by tooold2dance View Post
    Using your suggestions MARTIN, I can do the above . Which is better , much better than anything prior onsite.
    Well done Tooold!!!
    Clearly all the other photos were wrong ones!!

Sorry, I've had no luck in posting pictures from this computer here in Cuba.

But the info I have now may well sound like heresy, it's pretty amazing....

First of all the angle of attack is not only unnecessary; it actually causes enough drag to SLOW DOWN early planing. The foil shape of the wing is enough all by itself to promote very early planing with a smaller sail!
    Second, I now have the wing 10 cm more to the rear than the FRP wing I started with, and every increment to the rear seems to aid in normal board planing position. The wing has a 2.5 inch chord and it is located directly below the back 2.5 inches of the board.

The lowest wind I have planed in is an average of 11 km./hr with a 7.5 sail!
    And 14 km./hr average with a 5.5 sail!

Compare that with a formula board with 10 to 12 sail in 7 knots or 13 km./hr!!!!!
    Now at those levels it's not any fun. I'm pumping the sail, pushing on the 50 cm fin and generally scrunched up with almost all my weight on the boom and mast. But one km./hr more, I'm hiked out over the water, in the footstraps, holding all the wind in the sail. In other words, FUN.

Goodbye to my 7.5 and 8.5 sails back home.

Well, no reactions from the thread members, but FRP has been reading all my posts and he now has a 2017-700 model flyfin which pretty much mimics my homemade construction of a fly fin. But stupidly he insists all his other models work great too....they DON'T have spin-out, etc. etc.
    Last edited by RazeR69; 5th April 2018 at 09:56 PM.

"I kind of felt the same, therefore after ordering a FRPgear Fly-Fin model 2019 I had promised to give a feed-back on its performance.
    Attempting to keep the conclusions short and to the point, I hope that sharing this information will be helpful to others and promote objective, albeit critical discussion among the windsurfing community:

1. My hope to extend the range of an already perfect light-wind board (iSonic 121 litre, 232x75 cm) to the down-side with the use of a Fly-Fin has been dispelled.
    2. The Fly-Fin model 2019 is not only NOT helping to improve light-wind capacity, but it renders above mentioned board literally USELESS by causing spin-out on the lightest push on the fin.
    3. My suggestion to fellow windsurfers, who have ordered any of the Fly-Fin models, is to share as well their experiences wth the necessary level of detail in a spirit that allows to learn from each other.
    4. My recommendations to FRPgear are threefold: Firstly and foremost, to ‘get up to speed’ in order to be able to provide better advice to the average windsurfer interested in buying their product, secondly, to systematically ask customers about their experience with enough detail to contribute towards the first point, i.e. to be able to provide better advice, and thirdly to find a way to have a full-scale testing done by an experienced team in an objective and unbiased way, which would again contribute towards the first point.

Feel free to look more at my detailed posts on FB ( www.facebook.com/cesar.ramon.58958 ), I’m happy to reply to questions and provide clarification where needed and where I am able to do so."

post #86 on semi foiling "fly-fin" thread....

The above post on a similar thread on this forum clearly shows that the 2019 model does not work any better than my 2017 model did. The 2018 and 2019 models are not much different....

So far the ONLY other review of a fly-fin I've read by an actual windsurfer is Cesar Ramon in the semi-foiling thread. If anyone purchases the 2017-700 model, please review it on this forum. I'm assuming it is 70 cm. long which seems right for a formula board but too long for comfort on a 75 to 80 cm. wide board. FRP will not give me any specs on stiffness of the "mast" part of the fin, the rake of the mast, the size of the foil, or the angle of attack. So of course I am hesitant to spend $600 Canadian on a let's see if it works basis...

Since FRP will not let his fins be tested by an actual windsurfer, we must help each other. I'm quite convinced of the merit of the T foil, and also of the competence of FRP to manufacture Fiber Re-inforced Plastic fins in various configurations. But sheesh, take some advice from actual windsurfers; you know, the people who would like to buy your products!

O.K. working today on jibing with this version of fly-fin. As I hoped, if I get my rear foot in the right place, the board will spin around rather than flipping on edge and sinking. For my 130 l. Bic the right place seems to be hard against the front of the rear footstrap. In fact I have 2 positions more rearward for the straps, so I will try moving them back out of the way....

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RazeR69 View Post
    Well, no reactions from the thread members, ...
    Raze, your reports are very interesting, keep them coming.

It is an intriguing concept and it would be good to see more photos if you are able to post them. Or even a video?