Error 404 | Boards | The UK's No.1 Windsurfing Magazine

Sorry...

Page Not Found

Please check to make sure the URL is correct, or contact us at support@boards.co.uk to let us know your issue, and we'll do our best to help.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    O.K. back home from Cuba. I'll try some pictures again...Here are 2 fins, cut and sanded to centerline:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new size homemade fin.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	16082

And the 2 pieces epoxied together....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new size glued homemade fin.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	16083

Note original race fin is set to rear of tuttle head. The trailing edge slants back 5 degrees. The angle of attack of the foil wing is approx. 5 degrees.

Three weeks of sailing on and off, hitting bottom 6 or 7 times, and fin survived in good shape.

So I sent FRP the pictures of my glued together fin before I went to Cuba. He was totally uninterested in my negative comments about the size and shape of his 6 different models; saying it was hard for the elderly to adapt and I should learn to hold the sail at the right angle, and blah blah blah; if you have read any of his posts you will understand what I mean.

I was still very interested in the concept and decided the only way to test MY ideas of improvements was to make one myself. He was obviously reading every post I submitted (I'm still amazed at the general lack of response) because when I emailed him 2 weeks into the tests, he replied within 30 seconds that he had read them and asked why I didn't just buy the 2017-700 model.....which of course didn't exist when I was writing to him earlier.....

Last edited by RazeR69; 12th April 2018 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RazeR69 View Post
    I'm still amazed at the general lack of response
    Maybe the thread title has something to do with it. I don't read any of the foil threads as I have zero interest in foiling, but I somehow stumbled upon this one and I'm glad I did. As Martin says, keep it coming!

Maybe the start of the thread was totally tongue in cheek and I missed that because I was so earnestly interested in this idea. Too old 2 dance, are you actually making your own semi-foil?

O.K. I went back to the other semi-foiling thread and found the link to your picture....if the wings are symmetrical shape and not foil shaped, there will be no lift; the 1 degree angle of attack will not generate enough lift by itself and the board could have 1 degree of tail rocker....
    Last edited by RazeR69; 13th April 2018 at 02:03 AM.

Well FRP certainly has a flair for making a bunch of oddball fin designs. Wings that are wider than a pretty wide board? Flexible trailing edges that bend the wrong way to be useful? Winglets that are twice as big as the wing itself? About those winglets - is the wing a foil shape, and if so are the winglets also a foil shape because that wouldn't work; and if not, isn't the 3 small fin solution already in use a better idea? I'm not saying winglets are a bad idea; I actually think "winglets" you know, small up or down turned wing ends, are a good idea....Jus say'n.

Apparently many of these contraptions are being sold and I, for one, would like to hear more than the one review I've seen so far.

A fin has a number of functions to fulfill and it must be designed to fulfill all of them, not just lift. The magic of foil shape or angle of attack which can provide lift in both directions on a horizontal wing doesn't negate a proper design for the rest and more important functions of the fin.
    Last edited by RazeR69; 12th April 2018 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RazeR69 View Post
    Well FRP certainly has a flair for making a bunch of oddball fin designs. Wings that are wider than a pretty wide board? Flexible trailing edges that bend the wrong way to be useful? Winglets that are twice as big as the wing itself? About those winglets - is the wing a foil shape, and if so are the winglets also a foil shape because that wouldn't work; and if not, isn't the 3 small fin solution already in use a better idea? I'm not saying winglets are a bad idea; I actually think "winglets" you know, small up or down turned wing ends, are a good idea....Jus say'n.

Apparently many of these contraptions are being sold and I, for one, would like to hear more than the one review I've seen so far.

A fin has a number of functions to fulfill and it must be designed to fulfill all of them, not just lift. The magic of foil shape or angle of attack which can provide lift in both directions on a horizontal wing doesn't negate a proper design for the rest and more important functions of the fin.
    I was initially genuinely interested in what FRP was doing, but quickly learned that you can't take the company seriously. Their only tester is the manufacturers son who has only ever sailed fly-fins. The owner and his wife often make multiple forum accounts under different names to respond to posts and seem uninterested in any civil questioning of the fins over-the-top touted benefits. They claim they are selling a bunch of fins, but I am very skeptical due to the almost nonexistent reviews by real-world sailors. So, now I'm just sitting back waiting to hear more reports, but geez, I feel sorry for anyone trying to interact with these guys. Good luck with your own design!

Sidenotes about my planing at low windspeed results:

Several people on a Russian windsurfing forum have questioned my results, especially the actual windspeeds.

Firstly; with 7.5 sail, 130 l. Bic Techno and my previous best planing fin, I was able to plane in 17 km./hr wind. With the same equipment except for my homemade fly-fin, I was able to plane in 11 km./hr wind. So the ratio is there, whether the actual measurements are correct or not.

Secondly; I was able to test my windmeter with 2 others belonging to kiters. All three meters registered the same wind speed when it stayed very steady. The three meters differed however, in response time when a gust or lull hit. Mine was in the middle range of the three. If my meter showed 15 km./hr steady, the faster response one showed a quick jump to 17, back to 15, quick jump to 13, back to 15, etc. All meters were set on actual wind speed, NOT average wind speed.

Thirdly; The wind speeds I reported were AVERAGE setting wind speeds. This is important because some days I could plane at 11 km./hr and then other days I couldn't. What I believe happened is that short gusts of 13 km./hr got me on the plane, and held me there thru the average 11 and even thru short lulls of 9. Meanwhile on a day of very steady 11 km./hr with short lulls I couldn't quite pump up on the plane....The same thing was true with my normal fin; some days 17 km./hr was easy to plane and some days it wasn't - I never understood why before.....

Fourthly; All wind measurements were taken on the beach. Although the land behind the beach was flat, low lying, with few trees I'm sure the sailing area out past the swimming area had a tiny bit stronger wind.