Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Yes, because bigger sails are used by heavier sailors in the same wind- applying heavier sideways loads to the fin.

I'm never gonna use a fin longer than 22cms in a freestyle board. At 75 KG’s.
    That’s already way bigger than I prefer.

But we match fin size with sail area and sailing weight.
    Last edited by basher; 22nd March 2018 at 10:49 PM.
    Now back in the UK.

I use my 18cm fin with a 5.7 as my summer light wind kit. 20cm will be plenty.

nice house with horses, cats dogs, and bride. USA
    Fanatic 105 Skate Quatro F/S Custom 105.

26 cm in the Atlantic and Pacific
    I reckon y’all are the bomb

K4 Fins 4Boards TRI-sails Sailrepair

26cms? On a freestyle board?
    That is not a freestyle board.

Might however work for the intermediate/ non gyber.
    Now back in the UK.

Fin area has been mentioned. Few fin manufacturers provide fin area information. Maui Ultra fins freestyle 20cm fin is 170cm2, their slalom 26cm fin is 166cm2.

http://mauiultrafins.com/fins/freestyle-fins/style/

http://mauiultrafins.com/fins/slalom-fins/slalom-pro/

I notice that the OP has a FSW 94 as well, surely that's the board to use for a bit of blasting with a longer fin??

As with all boards, the FS will be happiest and most fun setup to do the things it was designed for. I had the choice of FS, FSW and Freeride when on holiday and the FS was clearly the most fun for me for B&J - the extra manoeuvrability of the small fin was absolutely key to its fun factor. IMO, when conditions are a bit lame, you want your board to give you a bit of an x-factor. The predictability and ease of a Freeride and fsw is just dull in comparison*

*Just my opinion - other preferences are available!

Spot on Billyboy. I drop the Slalom because the lack of X-Factor (at lest in 13-16 knts). The 94L FSW is fun at least for my, blasting around from 18knts onwards. I was looking for something more fun that just going fast (and make laydown gybes) when the wind is light. I become jealous of my friends trying vulcans, 360's, heli-tacks, and so on. Those moves are very hard to do on slalom equipment and when is 18knts, I felt 94L FSW volume and shape (80kg myself) it's enough for learning those tricks.
    The area of the fin certainly is very important. I will provide feedback this weekend. Some friends have typical 'banana' shaped FSW fins to try.