Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    nice house with horses, cats dogs, and bride. USA
    Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    26cms? On a freestyle board?
    That is not a freestyle board.

Might however work for the intermediate/ non gyber.
    The OP refers to BLASTING, and the foray into freestyle. Blasting to me is more Freeride . So yes, he is not looking at Freestyle. That’s My interpretation of his original post. He already has a freestyle fin, when his intent is that.

K4 Fins 4Boards TRI-sails Sailrepair

Tried the board first time on Saturday. Lame 14-16 knts, flat and somewhat choppy. Use it with 5.7 and the 20cm FS Fin. Very strange at first, but I was warned. Very light back leg pressure and the early planning is almost magical. Always have to remember to put the weight to the front to avoid something like spin-outs (is not as the slalom o freeride spin out, it is similar to a side slide).
    Initial impressions: the 20cm fin its Ok to blast back and forth. The early planning is there. You must to re-educate your body to avoid spin out. The top-speed is very good: Outpaced only by slalom boards on bigger rigs. The overall volume distribution and fell make me smile. I try duckybes, heli-tacks, and regular gybes. The tacks are tricky because the lack of front volume.
    Downiside: (more board than fin related) the gybe are slow and 'boxed'. I think that the rails of these boards are too flat to carve properly (compared to FSW).

Will test with a FSW soon and report. Thanks.

I have a JP 100 freestyle, which I normally use a 19cm fs style fin, but very occasionally use a 26cm swept free ride fin with a 6m sail. As far as I can tell early planning is exactly the same between the two, but the freeride fin does make the board point higher upwind and more locked in, at the expense of looseness. Itís sort of better to ride slightly out of the backstrap, to get purchase on the rail to lever off the fin. After enough time in the small fin you probably wonít bother with the larger.

@gasppot Peter Hart seems to agree with you about carving a FS board.

"What isn’t it good at? Not much cop at carving. The thick rails make it bounce and trip– and thanks to the tiny fin it’s not the board you’d choose for screaming around in chop."

https://www.windsurf.co.uk/peter-hart-the-joy-of-crossing-over/

I LOVE gybing my freestyle board. It's not a beginner's gybing board like the FSW, but it is very rewarding once you've learnt the skill.
    Just because a board is not an easy carver doesn't mean it's not great fun to gybe.

Unlike the FSW, the Freestyle board doesn't have much rocker and, yes, the fat rails can trip you, but that just means more commitment in the driving turn.

On topic, I find the fin length for this does need to be a bit longer in chop as the tail can lift a typical 16cms freestyle fin clear of the water when the hull is banked over. But a 20cms fin is fine for fast gybes. Preferably a narrow one with a bit of rake in the leading edge.

We should probably add at this stage that not all freestyle boards are the same and some shapes from the last three years have got a lot shorter. The width of you chosen size of board will also affect its gybing prowess.
    Last edited by basher; 27th March 2018 at 10:59 AM.
    Now back in the UK.

I've read the Peter article. It's pure gold.

Sadly for me, when he writes:

"
    Choose a board for the conditions you get, not the ones you dream of getting, and then play to its strengths. But just a word about freestyle – it’s not all about mid air contortion. The style of tricks (I prefer to call it ‘classic’ rather than ‘old skool’) that most aspire to, such as duck gybes, up and downwind 360s etc, start with a fast, hard carve which is easier on a freestyle wave with a wave bias. And if you are interested in new skool, the ‘basic’ tricks such as Vulcans and Spocks, which involve a pop, a twist and a backwards slide, are arguably easier to learn on a freestyle wave than a dedicated freestyle board because its softer edges are less likely to catch.
    "

I felt that maybe I've missed the point (a bigger FSW will be better suited?). Anyway, as basher says no all freestyle boards are equal. I find the newer ones are very short and wide (JP most extreme).

I'm willing to improve the commitment on my gybes to improve the carve feeling.

I think that it depends a lot on the freestyle board. The Skate boards I had for many years were all quite all round, I even used them in small waves and had good fun.

I personally felt that doing classic freestyle on the Skate was very fun and easier than on a fsw. You stand closer to the sail and need less power which makes it easier to manage the sail. I cannot do any air stuff at all, other than attempting a few flat water loops, and really like the Skate as a light to medium wind tool for flat water fun.
    Rig - Simmer vMax 7.2, Enduro 5.9, Black Tips 5.3 - 3.7, Tricera 5.0, HSM FL 5.7
    Boards - Simmer Hoogal 84 (custom), Simmer Freegal 100, Flikka 95 (proto), and 83 (tweaked Core line), Fanatic Blast 115

Moderates www.surfzone.se, wind and wave community in Sweden