Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MAST overview per brand-year/curve comparison

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Masten per merk jaar vergelijk -page-001.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	16038

It's interesting when scrolling down to see how few sailmakers use hard top masts any more – and how most that did have now changed to use constant curves instead.

The good news for most consumers is that there's a lot less variation between masts nowadays – so that should mean that you can pair one brands RDM with another brand's sail and it should be fine.
    Now back in the UK.

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    It's interesting when scrolling down to see how few sailmakers use hard top masts any more – and how most that did have now changed to use constant curves instead.

The good news for most consumers is that there's a lot less variation between masts nowadays – so that should mean that you can pair one brands RDM with another brand's sail and it should be fine.
    It may possibly just mean that the market does not support that much variety and /or mast makers limit themselves fewer types of mast production, so sailmakers adapt to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Navegante View Post
    It may possibly just mean that the market does not support that much variety and /or mast makers limit themselves fewer types of mast production, so sailmakers adapt to that.
    As well they Should!

I personally think that the development towards a much more standardised mast curve is very good and should've happened years ago. One reason for why I went away from Gaastra was actually that they were so mast specific and meant that if I broke a mast when travelling, I was more or less done if I could not find another Gaastra mast. It also made the sails more difficult to sell second hand for me, since the buyer either had to have Gaastra masts (not many did) or had to buy both sail and mast.
    Rig - Simmer vMax 7.2, Enduro 5.9, Black Tips 5.3 - 3.7, Tricera 5.0, HSM FL 5.7
    Boards - Simmer Hoogal 84 (custom), Simmer Freegal 100, Flikka 95 (proto), and 83 (tweaked Core line), Fanatic Blast 115

Moderates www.surfzone.se, wind and wave community in Sweden

......except the pretty basic methods used to determine the 3 categories are only a guide and do not describe the full bend characteristics of the mast. They also do not specify the diameter at critical points which can have a big impact on cammed sails. Personally I find it difficult to believe the same overall mast curve can be achieved when building masts with different carbon content.
    It is also the case that other than when rigged and on the beach waiting to be sailed, the mast is in fact constantly changing its overall curve and it is therefore the reflex speed that becomes really important. From my experience of North masts, the 100% platinum both rigs differently and performs differently than the Gold at 75/80% carbon, despite them supposedly being built to the same mast curve.
    So the Unifiber table is useful but not definitive for me.