Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

PWA / IWT Moulay, Morocco, 2018.

We should perhaps have a new thread for this event, as usual in the general discussion section.
    This is for live reporting or recent news on this event – which has already started.

The IWT (International Windsurfing Tour) started on March 27th, with initial heats for the youth, masters and grand masters fleets. The second day, Wednesday 28th, saw light winds, and was called as a lay day.

https://internationalwindsurfingtour...kets-underway/

The forecast for today(29th) and Friday suggests moderate N/NNE wind unless the local effect adds a lot to that (anyone know?), but as I read it Saturday is shaping up to be a massive wind and swell day. The 3.5m swell comes with a 14 second wave period, and an ENE then NE wind.

The PWA event – for the PWA women's fleet only – begins on Sunday with a lesser forecast and wind in the 'wrong' direction – port tack. But the current Windguru prediction has good NE wind for Wednesday. (NE is from the right at Moulay, but is it also a bit onshore?)

Here's the official PWA event preview.

https://www.pwaworldtour.com/index.p...7852664a1074f9

Late edit: I had to tweak that as initially I wrote NW when I meant NE.
    Last edited by basher; 29th March 2018 at 12:17 PM.
    Now back in the UK.

Checking the forecasts again, I see that they should in fact get 20–25 knots today (Thursday), so we should hear some results, via the IWT.
    The IWT usually update their Facebook page when they can.

This event is also a qualifier event for the PWA men's tour, attracting unseeded PWA wannabes. I understand that their section of this event hasn't yet started, but does begin on Saturday – just as the stronger wind and bigger waves arrive.
    Let's hope we also have a live ticker by then. Sadly, I see no mention of a live stream.

If anyone reading this is on site – either there on holiday, or competing – then please feel free to add to this thread, and tell us about what you see.
    Now back in the UK.

Yep, the IWT are doing live reports on Facebook today:

https://www.facebook.com/InternationalWindsurfingTour/

(That's perhaps slightly annoying from those of you/us currently thinking of deleting our Facebook accounts.)
    Now back in the UK.

From Facebook, I can see they are running the IWT heats today, and they have already started, with the amateur fleet.

This is Day Three for the IWT event (Thursday).
    Now back in the UK.

https://www.windguru.cz/49296
    https://magicseaweed.com/Essaouira-Surf-Report/1270

The forecast needs to show NE backing N for the wind to blow. NW doesn't work. SW can be ok but cross-on port tack and very messy if there is any swell.

The early afternoon big high tides don't help - the wind is often fluky over high tide and the waves get very choppy.

Based on the current forecast I would expect
    Today = maybe marginal pm wind (any eyeballs? is it windy now? edit - yes they are thanks basher for the update)
    Friday = 5.8 then 5.3, smaller for the PWA ladies obviously - could be very nice with a building swell - possibly some mast high sets later in the afternoon/evening for mid tide with the wind veering cross-off. mmmm get me there please.
    Saturday = Moulay on steroids!!! Probably full nuke with a humongous swell, however worth noting that the gradient wind is very off shore. It should back round but could remain gusty all day, especially with the high tide. Carnage!!! Is there a live stream??? A shame the pro men aren't there - or indeed basher to record proceedings!

After that it backs W/SW so unlikely to be much fun until maybe Wednesday when the N/NE'ly returns, if the current forecast holds.

Wish I was there - would be very tempted to jump on the 6am flight tomorrow if it were a few quid less that 800 return
    For sale:
    HSM Superfreak 4.2 FREE

I wish I was there.
    Although it looks surprisingly chilly on the Facebook live reports.

(Thanks for the forecast interpretation, Hazzabee.)

The official dates for the PWA section of this event (PWA women only) is April 1st to April 7th.
    So the pro women PWA heats can't start until Sunday at the earliest. – So they will miss out on Saturday's wind and swell.
    Last edited by basher; 29th March 2018 at 12:23 PM.
    Now back in the UK.

Late March so yes likely to be not all that warm if windy-ish and cloudy like it is there today. If the sun comes out tomorrow as forecast it should be very pleasant. (and logo-mast cross/cross-off <5.3...)
    For sale:
    HSM Superfreak 4.2 FREE