Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19
    Gorgesailor,

Infusion is a nightmare. Before I had a go, I read about it ad infinitum. I thought it would be the next generation and bypass a lot of bits I don’t like about board building i.e. grinding laps. So in my wisdom I tried to see if EPS could take the pressure and I promptly crushed a 15kgm3 block into a squished pancake and gave it up as a bad idea.

After watching videos of surfboards being infused and speaking to a UK university lecturer about his adventures. I had a go with a PU blank and some UV cure bioresin.

My view is; its a technical thing to do and the weight saving was non-existent, I thought it would be more like prepreg; but in hindsight you really do fill every void with resin and that includes making resin nests between the fibres. It didn’t even save me much time. There is a lot of faffing, repositioning, faff some more, checking and more faffing. It was nice to not feel rushed though and to remain clean and non-sticky.

I still like it as a concept, but I can’t see it making its way in to a production line.

Low temperature prepreg however…

Quote Originally Posted by Wing 11 View Post
    Remi Vila speaking about isonic development,Cobra tolerance is too big,so 1mm in production process can change boards behavior...

I did not know that production boards are so imprecise!

https://www.windsurf.co.uk/featured/...-isonic-man/4/

https://www.windsurf.co.uk/featured/...-isonic-man/5/
    Plastic is imprecise. Composites are no different. It is very difficult to mold anything large to with 1mm. You must get within the 1mm by hand in the finishing if it matters that much(it doesn't).

Quote Originally Posted by JB:) View Post
    Gorgesailor,

Infusion is a nightmare. Before I had a go, I read about it ad infinitum. I thought it would be the next generation and bypass a lot of bits I dont like about board building i.e. grinding laps. So in my wisdom I tried to see if EPS could take the pressure and I promptly crushed a 15kgm3 block into a squished pancake and gave it up as a bad idea.

After watching videos of surfboards being infused and speaking to a UK university lecturer about his adventures. I had a go with a PU blank and some UV cure bioresin.

My view is; its a technical thing to do and the weight saving was non-existent, I thought it would be more like prepreg; but in hindsight you really do fill every void with resin and that includes making resin nests between the fibres. It didnt even save me much time. There is a lot of faffing, repositioning, faff some more, checking and more faffing. It was nice to not feel rushed though and to remain clean and non-sticky.

I still like it as a concept, but I cant see it making its way in to a production line.

Low temperature prepreg however
    Good story! I did something similar trying to use Prep-reg with Coremat... it couldn't take the pressure....Infusion is fine against a mold(pre-preg is better), but IMO not great with cores. Low temp pre-preg with vacuum would be a good way - if you presealed the core with something compatible.