Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeroensurf View Post
    with there bat and thats how we created Phazers...???
    Genius!

Quote Originally Posted by tooold2dance View Post
    I have had my share of Starboard, have 2 still. The Black Box 105 I demoed for a day, it was and remains the worst board ever. It lasted ONE season then replaced, not the first of Starboards creations to go that route.
    You see a few Black Boxes come up on ebay and they either don't sell or go for little money. I think that tells it's own story.

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    No adverts. No boards in our shops, no sponsored sailors, no event sponsorship, no brand fees paid to PWA etc.

We are in a different time now, but some of us haven't forgotten, and we still miss the magazines we once had. We also miss the shops that have gone.

Basher there is no obligation for a business to tick the boxes of the points you enumerate.
    Business models are what they are and what works for the ownership of a particular business.

Models have evolved and changed, you have posted about this paradigms many times.

Much larger industry branches have disappeared because they did not find a way to adapt.

If your business can't compete with the big budget/capital larger ones have you maximise the
    alternatives that you find will work for you this is just the way you make it work.

You have a product that has a loyal following and you make the best to have it known, happy customers will do their part too
    because it is simply easier for people to buy or not according to what a friend or acquaintance or knowledgeable subject has to say about something.

This I say is not a particular defense of Whitchcraft but an abstract statement of what any business tools
    are available and depart from the usual until now model.

Banned
    Anyone that buys a new board has more money than sense. Make one or buy one from the cats charity trust in Eastbourne. loads of bargain kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Navegante View Post
    Basher there is no obligation for a business to tick the boxes of the points you enumerate.
    Business models are what they are and what works for the ownership of a particular business.

I agree. The mistake I am making is to see the windsurf world as some sort of a community which businesses might contribute to.

How silly of me to lament the magazines we have lost. How stupid of me to stick up for those who lost their jobs.
    Why should anyone worry about the lack of sponsorship for young sailors in our sport?
    And, just because all the other brands supported sailors and financially contributed to events, and advertised with magazines and online in a conventional way, why should any newcomer?

The way things are sold is certainly changing – but I for one will lament the day when I can no longer go to my local windsurf shop to replace a broken U/J or to try on a wetsuit to get a good fit before I buy it. In many areas that has already happened.
    Now back in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    I agree. The mistake I am making is to see the windsurf world as some sort of a community which businesses might contribute to.

How silly of me to lament the magazines we have lost. How stupid of me to stick up for those who lost their jobs.
    Why should anyone worry about the lack of sponsorship for young sailors in our sport?
    And, just because all the other brands supported sailors and financially contributed to events, and advertised with magazines and online in a conventional way, why should any newcomer?

The way things are sold is certainly changing – but I for one will lament the day when I can no longer go to my local windsurf shop to replace a broken U/J or to try on a wetsuit to get a good fit before I buy it. In many areas that has already happened.
    it was never a community as you describe just a collection of business's in the same industry who back stabbed and shafted each other happily at some times and at other times didn't

maybe you can remember all the squabble's about boards getting poor reviews and then advertising getting pulled or the refusing to test any kit that didn't follow the importer /distributor business model ?

if you still have local shops use them or you will lose them as we did in the NW

sponsored sailors i can take or leave some are a credit to the brands they represent others are not !

It's perhaps interesting to see how the key brands still do sponsor sailors and events.

Take the 2018 UK slalom series for example.
    That started last weekend with the first event sponsored by JP/Neil Pryde.
    Next weekend's event is sponsored by Starboard/Severne.
    The third event in the series is sponsored by the 4Boards shop.
    The July event is under Fanatic/North/Ion
    September's first event is under Goya/Quiver windsurfing
    Event 6 is sponsored by Puravida/Simmer
    Event 7, the season finale, is sponsored by Gaastra/GA and the OTC.
    Now back in the UK.