Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bman18 View Post

​Why do I like WC?

• No nonsense, no BS approach.
    • No flashy marketing speak or the need to change shapes every calendar year.
    • The most durable production boards available (when looking at HDD construction).
    • Intelligent R&D approach
    • An honest and dedicated shaper/owner who truly believes in what he does and makes
    • With a total urge to make everything (boards, extensions, sails) as strong as possible

Amen. That nicely sums up why I moved to Witchcraft. I think it was a post by Bouke about boiling footstrap inserts to improve durability that finally persuaded me it was worth paying the extra for boards which will (inshallah) last for many years.

I can't comment on Flikka, aside from having seen some pictures of some beautiful looking Flikka boards on here. But then engineering wins over aesthetics for me (but does there need to be a trade-off?).
    Eeeh 'tis grim dahn Sarf.

This is a weird question.
    Is it about each brand, or is this about getting a true custom board made, or is this about 'custom production' versus conventional production?

The answer to most waveboard questions is, actually, to get the right size board for you, and in a design that works for your local conditions.

Most will then look at what they can afford, comparing pricing. The recent popularity of certain brands is entirely based on the fact that some brands are priced in dollars and that makes them 200 cheaper for the UK market.
    What you can afford will also depend on what your local shop stocks.

I guess some will like the idea of a custom interaction, but that ideally involves long term relationships between shaper and buyer – or involves several mistakes before they work. You also have to wait for the kit, rather than to buy off the shelf in a shop.

(I have had a period of custom boards and I understand when it works – and when it doesn't. )

The current Flikka 'custom production' shapes are good, whereas the Witchcraft shapes have changed little and look tired to me. I saw a stack of both in Cape Town recently but I haven't sailed either, and we know that – endless hype aside – people are happy with both brands.

It is however possible to establish a relationship with the various known brands available, and, once you have hit on a style of board that works for you, stick with it, and then the only decision is about board size to suit your weight and likely sails sizes used. (That's how I choose nowadays.)

It used to be the case that if you bought a custom then you couldn't sell it on when you updated, so something designed spcifically for you was effectively worthless for someone else. But nowadays, despite standardised shapes and dimensions, it's difficult to sell on ANY waveboard, simply because there are more sponsored sailors selling on gear each year than there are second hand buyers.

So, the answer is not Flikka or Witchcraft, but what board size and at what price?
    If you are looking for a new brand to follow as a fanboy, as many do here, then's that's a whole different consideration, and not really about windsurfing. – It's perhaps more about joining a club.
    Last edited by basher; 2nd April 2018 at 08:37 PM.
    Now back in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    This is a weird question.
    or a weird answer to a good question?

Quote Originally Posted by chrispavlo View Post
    or a weird answer to a good question?

Would we have a thread that asked: Fanatic or Tabou?

It's a weird question.

When you ride waves, the first question is usually what size board? And the second is what are you expecting it to do – what level, and in what conditions?
    Last edited by basher; 2nd April 2018 at 08:57 PM.
    Now back in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by bman18 View Post

​Why do I like WC?

• No nonsense, no BS approach.
    • No flashy marketing speak or the need to change shapes every calendar year.
    • The most durable production boards available (when looking at HDD construction).
    • Intelligent R&D approach
    • An honest and dedicated shaper/owner who truly believes in what he does and makes
    • With a total urge to make everything (boards, extensions, sails) as strong as possible

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    look tired to me.
    Style over substance then Basher?
    Eeeh 'tis grim dahn Sarf.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoFish View Post
    Style over substance then Basher?

Indeed. It's that ugly nose they should dump. How old is it now?
    Who remembers that bullshit article in Boards which they printed as a freebie advert?
    Last edited by basher; 2nd April 2018 at 09:15 PM.
    Now back in the UK.

So, a tough question to answer, I’ve only sailed Witchcraft (own an 80 litre wave) and seen some flikka ‘s in action or on the beach.

If you want bomb proof construction and are happy with the designs of Witchcraft, then a big thumbs up from me. I would however always recommend trying before you buy, the designs are very distinct and not to everyone’s taste.

Flikka boards look a bit more traditional (some might say refined / sophisticated / smoothed) and finish always looks good and seem to hold up well. Of the three owners I’ve met and discussed with, all seemed happy and recommended.

Now to the real challenge. Why do you want a custom over production, and which brand / shaper best fits that need?