Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    Would we have a thread that asked: Fanatic or Tabou?

It's a weird question.

When you ride waves, the first question is usually what size board? And the second is what are you expecting it to do – what level, and in what conditions?
    Quote Originally Posted by barnes View Post
    Any thoughts or experience anyone? Looking for a compact wave. Thanks.
    prerequisite:
    - compact wave for a competent rider (otherwise he wouldn't have asked for Flikka or Witchcraft)
    - it is about style, fokus on dedicated conditions, strengths
    - thoughts and experiences

for example one could emphasize Witchcrafts twisted asymmetrical fin profiles and the drive that is created in bottom turns.
    on the other hand Flikka is using asymmetrical fin profiles similar to the K4 Ezzy's and one could state that his Flikka is working very efficent due to the right toe-in of the quad backfins, even in onshore conditions.

Both Luka and Bouke for sure have their fokus and testing their boards mainly in their local spots.

etc.

There are now lots of 'compact waves' – most of them pretty good, if you know what you are buying and get the right size.

But, surely, his thread is about which golf club to join?

How can you ask strangers on the internet what custom wave board to order? All you get is a bunch of fanboys taking the opportunity to tell you what they themselves like – or what works in their own conditions.

Best step out of the fanboy crap and take Tallboy's advice – see second post in this thread.
    Last edited by basher; 2nd April 2018 at 11:06 PM.
    Now back in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by barnes View Post
    Any thoughts or experience anyone? Looking for a compact wave. Thanks.
    I think that you need to narrow it down to board models and what kind of sailing you will be using them for. And be more specific about what you want to know about the boards (durability, construction, feel etc) for any input to be relevant for you. Also, what you are riding now and would like to improve would be good to know.

I have three Flikka boards (two Flikka-designs, one Simmer-design).
    Rig - Simmer vMax 7.2, Enduro 5.9, Black Tips 5.3 - 3.7, Tricera 5.0, HSM FL 5.7
    Boards - Simmer Hoogal 84 (custom), Simmer Freegal 100, Flikka 95 (proto), and 83 (tweaked Core line), Fanatic Blast 115

Moderates www.surfzone.se, wind and wave community in Sweden

How can you ask strangers on the internet what custom wave board to order? All you get is a bunch of fanboys taking the opportunity to tell you what they themselves like or what works in their own conditions.

Best step out of the fanboy crap and take Tallboy's advice see second post in this thread.
    That makes some sense, but sidesteps the strength and durability issues. I suppose it depends whether they matter to the OP (or anyone else) or whether he/they are in the market for more 'disposable' boards.
    Eeeh 'tis grim dahn Sarf.

nice house with horses, cats dogs, and bride. USA
    I note the usual suspects have taken note ( a yank thing to use note twice in one fragmented sentence )

How many have or sailed both boards ? How many owned both ?

Did we get answer on custom or not?

My thoughts are Jon at MOO Custom would at least try to make things right if unpleased.

K4 Fins 4Boards TRI-sails Sailrepair

Please don’t kid yourself if you buy a custom board then that will be more durable - when the opposite might be the case.

For sure, if you pay a lot more for a special construction then you might get something stronger - and probably heavier too.

I have had no durability problems with most of my production boards - so am I just lucky?

But when buying a wave board board you don’t ask for brand recommendations as much as board type and board size.
    In this case you might find someone who has owned both Flikka and Witchcraft boards but that tells you nothing beyond what they did or did not like about boards chosen for them and for their local sailing conditions.

If you are a ‘custom board sort of guy’ then fair enough - that’s an identity thing for some people - but it’s obviously easier to get meaningful comments about a widely used production shape.
    Now back in the UK.

Please don’t kid yourself if you buy a custom board then that will be more durable - when the opposite might be the case.

For sure, if you pay a lot more for a special construction then you might get something stronger - and probably heavier too.
    Agreed it comes down to the construction you specify. However I think it's beyond dispute that the strength and durability of some of the custom / semi-custom makers' output go well beyond what you could expect from most production boards.

But when buying a wave board board you don’t ask for brand recommendations as much as board type and board size.
    In this case you might find someone who has owned both Flikka and Witchcraft boards but that tells you nothing beyond what they did or did not like about boards chosen for them and for their local sailing conditions.

If you are a ‘custom board sort of guy’ then fair enough - that’s an identity thing for some people - but it’s obviously easier to get meaningful comments about a widely used production shape.
    In terms of the shaping, I agree, and I'm not sure there's anyone disagreeing with you on that point. If some of the custom / semi-custom / ('shed') shapers do deviate from the more widely used production shapes, experiences from that are surely useful information too though?
    Last edited by TwoFish; 3rd April 2018 at 03:26 PM.
    Eeeh 'tis grim dahn Sarf.