Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    Had a few Witchys over the years and have been impressed with all of them except the Chakra which i didn't think was as freeware as they say.
    The Chakra V3 which is out since 2 years, is a lot more freeride as there was some overlap with the Shaman. Weve tested it against a single fin FSW from a known brand and in trifin it was faster than the single fin. On a stretch of about 1200m, down wind it would gain about 25m, half wind 50m and up wind 75m.

Personally I cant see why you would ever want a quad, there is nothing it does better and you lack tunability. For example with such a compact shape with flat tail rocker, setting it up with a bigger centre fin makes it a pretty good B&J board.
    Bouke
    Witchcraft Windsurfing Fuerteventura

Slalom and wave are rather diciplines Wing11 (and a completely different discussion).

I owned a Flikka, sailed a couple and owned/have a bunch of Witchcrafts and will try to give you a proper lay down on both:
    First: I,m 188cm and my weight varies between 90 and 93kg. I got a pretty bad back and a half funcioning foot so arent the made from steel surfgod like some guys here (or pretend to be). Because of that jumping isnt high on my priority list.
    I sail in Holland wich means a strong current, lot of side-on, wind drivven beach break waves, that can seize up and get dumpy.
    Because the UK is in our way proper swell days are rare (and alwys from the North) If you wanna picture it: think about the world cup in Sylt.
    Partly style, partly due our slower and not too long waves I prever are rather low botom and high topturn style closer to the pocket instead of a more horizontal kind of riding that our waves are often not long enough for.
    This results in a slightly lower riding speed and looking all the time to keep momentum. If you ride the shoulder you can make more turns, but when properly positioned most waves are 2-max4 propper hits.
    Holidays are spend windsurfing/Supping in Cornwall, Ireland, French Britany and Capetown. I love to scream full speed DTL on long fast wall with high aerials, but at that is more a holidaything.
    Sails: KS3 from 6.1-3.4

Witchcraft:
    I sail them since 2008 and owned V2, V3, V4 and 2 customs+ sailed most productions.
    The good thing about them is that compared to a production board the costruction is a lot stronger. I got boards without a boardbag blown of my car falling on concrete and besides a scratch in the paint nothing wrong with it.
    In Holland we tend to be a bit taller and heavier as most parts of the world. In the UK i,m one of the bigger guys, in France a Giant and in Holland just average. Most productionboards last at best couple of years here before they get weak, while I still see V2,s used year in year out.
    Due the construction the board feel also more stiff/direct. every bit of feed back get transferred to you. In that department all the Cobra boards I sailed feel easier/smoother, especially compared to the V3 and the Shaman. I like my stuff being a bit more gentle so combined it with softer fins and a breathable sail and used the Tecno Limits Cont@cts boom for a long time. With the more onshore based Haka and more rockered V4 this is absolutely no problem anymore.
    Shapewise the boards have a really sharp rails that have a LOT of grip and a rather wide tail. Even the V4 is compared to other sideshore boards imo rather wide at the OFO and stays wide behind it instead of being tucked in like others do
    This would probably too grippy with a Quad set-up, but works really good with a Tri and the wider as average stance (Goya like).
    A really good thing about Witchcraft is that Bouke builds from a solid very distinctive concept. Everything fits together like a puzzle.
    Of course you can fine tune a bit the feel with different fins, but even blind sailing you can really tell if a board is a Witchcraft or not.
    The downside is that when this isn't what you like, you probably are not gonna like a single board from him.
    When going custom Bouke is very easy to communicate with and can in detail explain what happens if you change this or that.
    Especially when carving riding has priority over jumping and sliding the Flextails are a class apart. I got my first one 5y ago and got last year a bigger one. They sail like there size but due the flextail they turn like a 15l smaller board and are really smooth because the tail filters out a lot of the chop.
    The con,s: there are cheaper and faster builders with more variety.

Flikka:
    Is pretty popular in Holland because they stronger as most production gear. a couple of the better surfers use them over here, change boards each 1-2 year so they getting a 2th hand market as well.
    I got one Flikka Quad because at some point with the V3 I wanted a board with more ease and really wanted to try a Twin-Quad, something Bouke simply don,t build. I got myself a Textreme 84l Quad and the board was light, probably as strong as the Witchy (did the roofrack-concrete test too ) .
    Building quality absolutely on par with witchcraft.
    For the conditions in Holland this wasn't my board. The volume was for an 84l rather low, think 80-78 and combined with my weight every liter counts. Besides that the board had a bit more rocker as wanted and the OFO was a bit smaller as preferred because from the OFO point it tailored very quickly. But I sailed in Ireland-Brandon Bay in proper fast side-off and there it was a dream, but that is not where I solely bought it for.
    I played a lot with fins to see if I could change the character a bit but in the end I sold it for a Goya Quad that suited me better.
    The Goya was perfect to sail but also really fragile compared to both custombrands (and changed afterwards for a Haka and later a V4)
    That Flikka experience of a narrow tail, a lot of rocker given a low footprint on the water with rather small liters and needing rather powerfull faster kinda waves or high powered sailing is what I found on most boards from Flikka (tri+quads) till last year.
    The newer shapes have a bit of faster rocker, a bit wider tail and float better. The differences don,t look huge but feel on the water way more on par with boards like Starboard and Goya and better suit my homespot conditions. In general you could say they became a bit more mainstream like a Goya Quad/starboard kode instead of JP radical thruster quad.
    I would say better, but the old shape was awesome in Ireland, so I guess its really depending on where and how you sail.
    Because of the bigger variety in shapes by Flikka its harder to predict what you are gonna get but also more options to choose from as you have with Witchcraft.
    I can,t really say that one is better as the other, they are different.
    Witchcraft, got an perfectioned concept, but is has to suit you,
    Flikka offers more options, but a wider variety of looks sometimes to me also a bit like they are still looking for the 100% sweet spot as well (although I can,t write enough that really liked there 2017/18 shapes and are serious tempting in ordering a 95l compact board from them.

Just a personal opinion: All the boards that suit me perfect, are from shapers with a similar weight.
    Bouke is 88-90kg, I owned 2 Mark Nelson,s and he,s in my category and those were awesome boards.
    The boards I got a more love-hate relationship with is always from lighter shapers.
    An 85l board is for me a highwind board while for a 75l guy it can be a floater wanting completely different things in it, so it is really up to you to tell them as detailed as possible what you want, how you sail it, where you sail it etc and keep in mind that it is difficult to get it downright perfect at the first board when that communication is not top notch.
    Last edited by Jeroensurf; 4th April 2018 at 07:42 AM.
    188x92kg 43y old, Supper/Windsurfer.

Witchcraft Flextail 104l + Witchcraft V4 86l HDD

2016/17 Hotsails KS3: 5.5+5.2+4.9+4.6+4.0+3.4 Ultra + Kauli + CAAS masts, AL360+ TL cont@ct booms lots of fins.

SUP Starboard 2015 Airborne 8.8x31.5x123l / Pro8.5x29x112l / Race14x25 / 2012 AST Coastrunner 14x28 / Gong9.4x29x135 Freak

So, despite the obvious risk of being accused of ”fanboyism” and therefore neither worth reading nor trusted, I will give some of my thoughts on this topic. Mainly since I believe that most, if not all, here are able to judge for themselves what is worth to take into consideration and what’s not…

It has unfortunately been I while, five years?, since I last sailed a Witchcraft and the design has of course developed since then. However, I have long been a fan of Bouke’s approach and if you get a custom from Fuerte you will most likely be able to get one of the strongest boards available in the market. They have been on the multi-fin path for a very long time and developed their designs with a more continuous improvement approach over the years. I like that. The three boards I sailed had quite a distinctive feel to them and offered excellent carving and grip. I would say that even if “try before you buy” applies to all boards, it does so maybe a bit more to Witchcraft. Those who like them tend to keep them forever, but in my book their design is perhaps not to everyone’s taste. Which I think is good, since I like designs with a clear brief and performance idea, but it does perhaps request a bit more from the sailor/end customer.

When it comes to Flikka, I have more recent experience. I have three Flikka-built boards myself, one Simmer-proto built by Flikka and two standard Flikka boards, one proto and one core line. Some good friends also have Flikka-boards, and I have tried most of them. Previous to having these boards I would estimate that I have owned around 30 wave boards through the years and tested/rented an additional 30 or so. Most of these have been standard boards from Fanatic, RRD, JP, Mistral, Quatro, Simmer and Tabou with a couple of customs or semi-customs thrown in.

What I like about Flikka:

• Build quality. I am yet to repair my first ding in a Flikka-built board. Despite most (all) of my local spots being rocks only. This has never happened before. One board actually got caught in a strong gust when I was changing sail and went end-over-end on the rocky beach before finally getting stopped by a fence… “well done, now you’ll have to do a lot of repairs again..” was my thought walking up to the board. Only scratches, not a single ding. And this with a good balance between weight/durability, since they are fairly light. I can honestly say that I have never owned better built boards.
    • Fins and boxes. I really like the strong slot-boxes that come with these boards. I had some quality issues with my first slot-box boards from other standard brands, but have seen none of that with Flikka. A good friend more or less destroyed two fins in his Flikka hitting a rock, but, much to our surprise, there was no damage to the slot boxes. I like the option of having five fin boxes. My initial intention was to use these boards as quads, but after I managed to get a tri-fin setup to work I have more or less stayed with that for all of my sailing. The Flikka fins are really good with excellent quality, but also a bit expensive.
    • Performance. Somehow, the design of my 95 proto and Core 83 just seems to suit my sailing really well. They are a lot of fun to sail, you can read my separate reviews on them in another thread.

I think that maybe some of the Flikka constructions with more carbon than “regular” are almost too stiff and creates a ride that is too hard for my taste. I actually recommend anyone that is looking to buy one to get the regular construction since I think that it offers the best ride and also gives most value for money. Even if I like the fact that all screws are hex key inserts, I would like Flikka to provide a hex key that is made of stainless steel instead of the current one but this is a minor detail… And I also think that the new visuals with the big text on the boards is a bit ugly, I like my boards more. :-)

When it comes to the more specific question of a board around “210/215 x 55 x 75/80 cross on to side shore knee to last high, fast rocker, quad”, I’d say that you will most likely be able to find this in the Flikka Core range, most definitely in the Custom range (of course…but maybe give the Quad Compact an extra look). My only recommendation would perhaps be to get a board with five fin boxes, but that is because I personally like to use both tri and quad setups and tend to try different set-ups in my boards. I think that you can get five fin boxes in a core-line board if you ask for it (worked for me, at least).

The ability to build custom and semi-custom boards using modern digital technology in design, production and distribution makes it possible for smaller brands to deliver really good boards in high quality. Combined with the price development for “standard” wave boards (which, in reality, are more semi-customs…), this makes me believe that we will continue to see more custom boards in the high-end segment of the market.

Oh, and I disagree with Wing 11. Most people don’t give a sh**t if AA is on RRD, Starboard or JP. Long gone are the days when you could sell windsurfing gear because a “star” used their boards.

I have no affiliation with the Flikka brand and have paid full price for my boards.
    Rig - Simmer vMax 7.2, Enduro 5.9, Black Tips 5.3 - 3.7, Tricera 5.0, HSM FL 5.7
    Boards - Simmer Hoogal 84 (custom), Simmer Freegal 100, Flikka 95 (proto), and 83 (tweaked Core line), Fanatic Blast 115

Moderates www.surfzone.se, wind and wave community in Sweden

Like it was said above:
    If you want to play with different fin set ups the question is simple:
    Flikka.
    At witchcraft you only get three boxes, also in custom construction.

nice house with horses, cats dogs, and bride. USA
    Quote Originally Posted by duzzi View Post
    I know, but the last time I did it (with two carbon art) it was quite an ordeal to pick them up (had to go to two different offices) and they almost slapped on an extra charge on the board (I convinced them that I was a test rider for CA ). I am getting sails and masts (Point-7 and Loft) from Europe but in that case DHL delivers direct.

Anyway, took the new RRD 84 out yesterday, just a maiden trip in just powered 5.0 but it is a very nice board! Stunning construction.
    The OFFICIAL regulations for windsurfing equipment imported to the USA, is its exempt from custom duty tariff s , PERIOD. The company that holds the gear until you clear customs, normally charges a fee, for mt this has been $25, IMO its a rip off. THIS changes dramatically if you are a business that will resale the product VS private use.

K4 Fins 4Boards TRI-sails Sailrepair

Quote Originally Posted by tooold2dance View Post
    The OFFICIAL regulations for windsurfing equipment imported to the USA, is its exempt from custom duty tariff s , PERIOD. The company that holds the gear until you clear customs, normally charges a fee, for mt this has been $25, IMO its a rip off. THIS changes dramatically if you are a business that will resale the product VS private use.
    Interesting, what happened with the CA was years ago but customs really gave me a hard time ... maybe they thought I was a retailer ... oh well, I will get the Flikka in 2028 ... if I am still sailing!
    Last edited by duzzi; 4th April 2018 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wing 11 View Post
    This is wrong question .

People are like sheep;"where everyone going ,I go there"

If Albeau win PWA slalom on RRD, everyone will buy RRD ,because they think is best/fast board..This is wrong opinion.AA would win on every board brand(even on home door),because his the best not board.
    Nobody do not notice that AA change boards brand all the time,but he never change Neil Pryde sails that easy.Sail have bigger infuence on overall performance than boards..
    I agree that what a pro ride is of no importance for a common mortal. It is equivalent of giving a Stradivari to a good violin player, he/she will never be able to exploit its qualities.

But ... I am not so sure that AA (or any pro) would win on any brand. At that level seconds count and the board they develop with the manufacturer does make a difference.

Last time AA lost the PWA he admitted that the RRD he was riding had a gap in performance in light air, and he said that the following year the gap was gone, speed up again, and (with some luck) he won the championship again.