Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Flikka have some good team sailors.
    And their boards have won competition heats.
    I have never seen any of the other boards you mention.
    Last edited by basher; 11th April 2018 at 12:23 AM.
    Now back in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by duzzi View Post
    Amazing despite its predictability: somewhat carefully, but surely enough, bad mouthing yet another board maker.
    Duzzi,

What's happened to earn your ire? I didn't read the post in quite the same way, more defending a position.

I have had quite a few dealings with Bouke since 2007 and helped with his repairs here and there, and am a self confessed fanboy - think teen girl screaming at Take That in the mid nineties. But I have yet to buy a Witchcraft. And there is a reason for that. Bouke has extensively assisted me in my own board building, he has not made any profit out of it and has let slip many of his technical secrets, he let another one out yesterday. Its something I do already, and is a composites industry standard, but if you look at other board building videos you wont see it...

Not only have I personally benefitted, but a lot of the techy info on this forum is leading edge and hugely explanatory following Bouke and Olah having a chinwag. While some of it comes across as 'I do it better than everyone else' to my mind that is confidence in his product and given his avatar you cannot claim he is being obtuse. You would expect someone who has built a reputation on build quality to hold a strong view.

As has been said by many others it would be lovely to have other builders coming on here, but we have our two and they remain my firm favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoFish View Post
    However to suggest Bouke's (classic Dutch?) say-it-as-it-is approach is somehow dishonest is just ludicrous.
    After years working with German colleagues and having a Danish boss at present I appreciate the approach. I find many groups just don't get it and take this way of speaking as insulting. This is particularly true in certain parts of America where straight talking just doesn't seem to go down well.

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    No. I'm not saying that at all.
    If they made the occasional contribution to discussions on this forum or even made the occasional plug for something new they have done, then that would be fine with me.

Most serious brands will have their own social networking policy, but they will also advertise with magazines and with online sites, and they will also help sponsor sailors or events where they can. It's called contributing to and supporting the market they are feeding off for their business. Flikka have started to move in that direction.

If you check most production brands they have sailors who are active in social media, and most brands have their own forums or Facebook pages for customers to air views and ask questions. But those brands also advertise in printed magazines and support online windsurfing sites. They sponsor sailors and help up and coming youngsters who are showing talent, usually via a network of shops, and they run a team to help them develop new kit – producing fresh ideas from which we all benefit.

It's a conventional model which may have to change with current economic circumstances, but some contribution to the industry is better than the freeloader approach.
    like this you mean that popped up in my FB feed this morning

http://witchcraft.nu/waiting-watchin...ng-knowledge/#

i seem to remember neither the Industry or the PWA could find a sponsor for the Maui event so this is not a one brand issue

Bouke has the dream in business terms he doesn't need to advertise he has a waiting list for his products

and again i would rather read comments from someone who actually does build and design boards than people who read a glossy PR brochure and quote it as if they have a knowledge of the product and then buy a Reactor

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    There's a Witchcraft Sails Advert in this months Windsurf Mag

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Quote Originally Posted by max111 View Post
    and then buy a Reactor
    For the less informed ones:
    What was the problem with the reactor? Was is the successor to the Black Box?

Quote Originally Posted by JB:) View Post

and has let slip many of his technical secrets, he let another one out yesterday. Its something I do already, and is a composites industry standard, but if you look at other board building videos you wont see it...
    I wondered if youd pick that up. I removed it now, just in case, even if it would be hard to copy if you do not have the right materials. Like you say, many things are pretty simple, (I have been doing most of it since 15 or 20 years but sure enough in the beginning I paid lots of learning money as I have always given pretty much unconditional guarantee), some of it is common practice elsewhere and easy to understand why but then you dont see them in any of the other board building videos.

Why I share things with you is that I like your attempts at building more environmentally friendly and you keep an eye on the developments in that field and you share it with me. You have also carried out repairs (some of them under guarantee) for me as I know you would do a good job. Besides, if I had the idea you would have the ambition to set up a board factory at some point, I would not have shared as much info.
    Bouke
    Witchcraft Windsurfing Fuerteventura