Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BottomTurnBob View Post
    PS I had a duotone snowboard back in the day I assume no connection?
    Yes, they own Duotone the snowboard brand alongside F2 snowboards, neither of which really made it in English Language regions.

Had it been my decision I would have gone with ION, it's a far better imaged brand name, I guess they have their reasons, but agree it's a sad day, North Sails is a very strong brand name and if it is true they've lost that as well I can't see them recovering for quite a while, but then Duotone Boards maybe? Who knows, what we will have to see is it North Sails themselves have any plans to use their own name for their own financial benefit and they enter the market in their own right which would really put the cat amongst the pigeons.

Just to ground this:

Company ownership and even brand names change all the time.

But what we really want to know here is whether those running the current North sails and Fanatic brands will have to change logos or staff, or whether their excellent pro team will be affected.

Fans of North windsurfing Sails, Fanatic boards, and ION wetsuits and accessories will also want to know if they can still buy the gear they like.
    The Fanatic/North team are one of the best.

http://www.fanatic.com/windsurfing/team/
    Last edited by basher; 12th April 2018 at 08:41 PM.
    Now back in the UK.

This will just be a rebranding of North products, nothing to do with Fanatic, Ion or any of the existing teams they’ll carry on as usual in fact a good argument can be made that without having to pay license fees they’ve now got a million euro boost to their marketing budget. This they’ll need imv trying to resuscitate a lame brand name like Duotone, but then what’s in a name?

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Graemef View Post
    This will just be a rebranding of North products, nothing to do with Fanatic, Ion or any of the existing teams they’ll carry on as usual in fact a good argument can be made that without having to pay license fees they’ve now got a million euro boost to their marketing budget. This they’ll need imv trying to resuscitate a lame brand name like Duotone, but then what’s in a name?
    what’s in a name? Sounds like a hemorrhoids or constipation medicine

As far as I can make out North Windsurfing seems to have had little connection other than the name to the main Northsails company. Northsails Windsurfing also encompasses of course mast, booms, extensions, harness lines etc as well as the sails and I have seen no signs that the main Northsails company has had anything to do with design of manufacture of Northsails Windsurfing sails ranges. I can only assume therefore that whilst Boards and More list Northsails Windsurfing as one of their brands, the use of that name is via a licence. If indeed Northsails are withdrawing that licence, there is no reason for Boards and More to do anything more than change the brand name........maybe they can also reduce the price given no further licence fees!!
    There may be a short term problem with North branded kit already in the process of distribution which could explain why some kit has been delayed. Clearly Boards and More will also have a fairly significant rebranding cost/chore.....brochures, POS materials, websites, administrative documentation etc.

Other than that the main question is why Northsails would withdraw the licence. It is presumably getting a licence revenue and appears to have no brand or capital risk. My guess is it is a dispute between Northsails and Boards and More. I wonder if Boards and More are looking to get a UK base to escape the costs of exporting worldwide from within the EU???

Of most importance is the rights to the products and technology associated with north windsurfing. They are one of very few brands that have a full line of genuine in-house developed and produced rigs and that involves a lot of patents and proprietary technology. The north masts I have are miles better than some of the generic ones I have had in the past (although I accept many others have caught up over recent years). Then you also have things like the ratchet extensions and suspension bases, that is the result of very genuine and expensive r&d.p, they were also using sail technology that is way beyond some of the other lofts however it's only the super light monofilament that has made it into production models to date. What will happen to Kai Hopf (sail designer) who has been there for ever and has been refining the sail line up very consistently all that time.

Hopefully all this remains and it is just a different badge on the sail!

Quote Originally Posted by mikerb View Post
    As far as I can make out North Windsurfing seems to have had little connection other than the name to the main Northsails company. Northsails Windsurfing also encompasses of course mast, booms, extensions, harness lines etc as well as the sails and I have seen no signs that the main Northsails company has had anything to do with design of manufacture of Northsails Windsurfing sails ranges. I can only assume therefore that whilst Boards and More list Northsails Windsurfing as one of their brands, the use of that name is via a licence. If indeed Northsails are withdrawing that licence, there is no reason for Boards and More to do anything more than change the brand name........maybe they can also reduce the price given no further licence fees!!
    There may be a short term problem with North branded kit already in the process of distribution which could explain why some kit has been delayed. Clearly Boards and More will also have a fairly significant rebranding cost/chore.....brochures, POS materials, websites, administrative documentation etc.

Other than that the main question is why Northsails would withdraw the licence. It is presumably getting a licence revenue and appears to have no brand or capital risk. My guess is it is a dispute between Northsails and Boards and More. I wonder if Boards and More are looking to get a UK base to escape the costs of exporting worldwide from within the EU???
    I would imagine the core of the fall out was the figure at the bottom line.