Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    I wonder if they've spotted that if you want to ship and sell them around the world they need two part masts this time.

We had a look at reviving the Windsurfer class a few years ago, but that was the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Graemef View Post
    I wonder if they've spotted that if you want to ship and sell them around the world they need two part masts this time.

We had a look at reviving the Windsurfer class a few years ago, but that was the problem.
    I assumed it would be supplied with a modern although retro styled rig. No way would anyone manufacture those masts again! And the booms!!!! Not to mention every other component on the original! Did they even have standard fin boxes?

I struggle a little with the original windsurfer concept. Boards have matured and improved over the years. It does seem pure nostalgia to want for an early design in the evolution of our sport. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy using a longboard but one of a more modern design. Some love DIV2, just not me. I do wish them luck.

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Quote Originally Posted by phill104 View Post
    I struggle a little with the original windsurfer concept. Boards have matured and improved over the years. It does seem pure nostalgia to want for an early design in the evolution of our sport. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy using a longboard but one of a more modern design. Some love DIV2, just not me. I do wish them luck.
    Nostalgia is not a bad thing.
    However identifying this board as the original windsurfer is wrong, this is more like a Kona.

The only thing similar is the logo.

The Original Windsurfer was 175L, 366cm long and 66cm wide. The daggerboard was fixed.

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic

Quote Originally Posted by BottomTurnBob View Post
    I assumed it would be supplied with a modern although retro styled rig. No way would anyone manufacture those masts again! And the booms!!!! Not to mention every other component on the original! Did they even have standard fin boxes?
    Maybe they could use a modern boom but give the grip a woodgrain effect...

If I had to choose light wind windsurf kit, this is the sort of thing I would get. I can't stand big heavy rigs, but F2-4 with a chuckabout light rig on a floaty board designed to perform off the plane can be a giggle on a warm day.

The trouble is it has to compete with all the other things that are a giggle on a warm day at the beach (or anywhere else) and that is a lot of serious competition! For that reason it (this board and light wind windsurfing in general) will never be a mass market product again. Lets hope it finds a profitable enough niche though...