Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Somewhere on the blog link I posted it says they are commissioning a two piece mast to go with the original rig. Apparently many parts over the years although they can be supplied new are updated equipment approved by the governing body as equivalent kit. I have never sailed the original one but saw a Simon bornhoft freestyle demo on one, the board is supposed to be 'surfy' and not like a traditional raceboard, and some seem to like that the standard rig is just a 6m.
    Agree it would be hard to replicate the family sailing culture that the board came from, but kind of cool that they are trying. I wonder whether the od racers who choose not to upgrade can still race alongside the new style board, as some might take some pleasure or nostalgia from keeping their old 'beast' on the water and used for a bit of racing, where replacing it might not be the highest priority for people who like to do a range of sailing ... and let's face it so many other interesting kit to choose from and buy if there is money to be used.

Surely the most significant thing about this initiative is that it will be a factory product offered up to anyone to brand it their own. If it can be done for a throwback, it can be done for a modern board.
    I wonder what the fall back position will be if none of the brands decide to order any? Direct factory sales??

Quote Originally Posted by mikerb View Post
    Surely the most significant thing about this initiative is that it will be a factory product offered up to anyone to brand it their own. If it can be done for a throwback, it can be done for a modern board.
    I wonder what the fall back position will be if none of the brands decide to order any? Direct factory sales??
    https://www.facebook.com/windurferclassaus/

Guess you buy them through your countries Windsurfer Class Association like in Oz.

Quote Originally Posted by mikerb View Post

I struggle to see what the marketing advantage would be , as beyond the stickers and colours the design would be static. Australia seems to be strong on raceboard and they have homegrown brands that produce equipment we don't get. Again, according to the blog, orders are strong from countries where this class is popular. It does make me wonder why even in the heyday of windsurfing it was not stronger in the UK, may be a factor that all roads led to imco/ Olympic class for those in the rya and associated ukbsa etc classes used best performance equipment for light winds rather than something like the Windsurfer, which might be truer to the original spirit of windsurfing but not necessarily your best bet in 8kph winds.
    Last edited by Andy Walters; 16th April 2018 at 08:34 PM.

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic

Will it be the biggest selling new board in 2018?