Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Navegante View Post
    Nostalgia is not a bad thing.
    However identifying this board as the original windsurfer is wrong, this is more like a Kona.

The only thing similar is the logo.

The Original Windsurfer was 175L, 366cm long and 66cm wide. The daggerboard was fixed.
    I did think of the Kona which to me seems like a more advanced design including many more modern features. This new windsurfer seems lacking and somehow more of a throwback. Not having seen one in the flesh it is hard to comment. However, is there really room for another class? How many times can the wheel be re-invented!

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Quote Originally Posted by phill104 View Post
    I did think of the Kona which to me seems like a more advanced design including many more modern features. This new windsurfer seems lacking and somehow more of a throwback. Not having seen one in the flesh it is hard to comment. However, is there really room for another class? How many times can the wheel be re-invented!
    To me it seems that this board would cover the same market demographic as the kona and anyone that has a daggerboard WindSUP.
    The main problem with this type of so called one design boards is that families and friends do not get together like they used to in the eighties.
    Also already in the eighties the windsurfer was superseded by the Mistral and the Dufour Wing was exponentially better performing.

So, I also don’t have the answer as to how this board will fit in the Windsurfing world.
    Last edited by Navegante; 18th April 2018 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Kona

I have never sailed an original windsurfer however if it’s worse than a Du Four then it must be terrible. A Du Four is like a barge! Supper heavy and sits low in the water making it unresponsive to anything other than what might topple you in!

Surrely this new board will be much lighter and if it’s lighter then it will need less volume / length!

The Dufour was for light people better than for heavy ones.
    I won many races on a Dufour Wing. I still have one and a couple of times a year get it out for a little upwind cruising. Generally for Christmas and new year as a sort of ritual for last and first ride of the year.
    I disagree that it’s like a barge. In the days it came out it was a substantial improvement over what DI boards were there.

The main drawback of the Original Windsurfer was the weight.
    However as a flat bottom board it was very manoeuvrable and in its day great for what today is called old school freestyle tricks. In the late eighties and very early nineties I had one in the Caribbean where I explored many deserted beaches behind mellow reefs. Today when I visit The Caribbean I do it with a WindSUP with daggerboard in winds that are not strong enough for planing. No footstraps and great fun going off with a backpack to sleep under the sail in a sea turtle Holes riddled beach.

It behaved very much like what it was a surf longboard with a sail on. Today you’d identify it as a SUP and in spite of the weight in small waves you could surf as such.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	78210CE8-3509-4C1D-B6C6-60A7B465A880.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	16103

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C0950B01-74E9-4942-8368-FD04B32E5256.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	16104
    Last edited by Navegante; 18th April 2018 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Walters View Post
    It does make me wonder why even in the heyday of windsurfing it was not stronger in the UK, may be a factor that all roads led to imco/ Olympic class for those in the rya and associated ukbsa etc classes used best performance equipment for light winds rather than something like the Windsurfer, which might be truer to the original spirit of windsurfing but not necessarily your best bet in 8kph winds.
    It had it's moment here in the UK, from the inaugural class Nationals in 1978 at Coniston in the Lake District (sponsored by Carlsberg) thru 1979, 1980,1981, 1982 they had good numbers 100 + and UK teams visited International World events, Cancun in '78, Greece in '79, Bahamas in '80, Okinawa '81 but in Okinawa in 81 something happened. A young kid called Pete Cabrinha turned up with just a surfboard and a rig attached to it, the event had pretty much been blown off by a Typhoon and they made us, a group of windsurfers, stay in our hotel room and all we could do was go up and fly jury built kites off the roof, then the wind abated a tad, pete showedup and a queue formed to try sailing a surfboard and the sport changed forvever.

That and a fair deal of aggression from Hoyle Sweitzer who did his cause no good at all in threatening to sue the Class Association (and Me) for using the term Windsurfer in the Class magazine. (It then got shortened to Windsurf and turned over to everyone and anyone)

So we moved on and built the Mistral Class instead.

Ironically a bunch of us were planning a 40 year reunion do sometime this summer and are scoping about for old windsurfer outfits to see if we're still up to being men (and women) without harnesses once more, before we all die.
    Last edited by Graemef; 18th April 2018 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graemef View Post

Ironically a bunch of us were planning a 40 year reunion do sometime this summer and are scoping about for old windsurfer outfits to see if we're still up to being men (and women) without harnesses once more, before we all die.
    I saw that proposal I think it is a Great idea.
    It would be wonderful if happens.