Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Matt vs Polish(glossy)

What is faster matt or polish bottom?

what granulation of sandpaper have isonic,falcon and other slalom boards?

some research tell that matt/polish is not really proven..

Carbon Art :

"11. POLISHThe best way is to find someone with a small polishing machine and foam polishing pad. Take care not to work any one area for too long as the surface will heat causing the paint to distort.
    Some people believe polished surfaces to be slower than wet sanded surfaces, whereas others believe the reverse. However it is clear that polished surfaces remain clean for longer, and a clean surface is a fast surface."

www.carbonartwindsurf.com/Performance/Maintenance
    Last edited by Wing 11; 15th April 2018 at 01:22 PM.

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    You want a wet sanded surface that helps a film of water adhere to the general surface thus creating a low friction area where water glides against water. The film on the hull and the sea/lake water.
    I used to use a wet 600 grit. Once the whole surface has been smoothly and evenly sanded you clean it with a plain sponge to get all the dust off and let it dry. You then throw water on it and a full wet film coat should cover it. That is your low friction surface.
    However some performance experts argue that finer grit is needed because the coarser grit makes too much water stick to the surface, this is not ideal.
    Some go as fine as 1500 wet grit which makes a mirror like surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Navegante View Post
    You want a wet sanded surface that helps a film of water adhere to the general surface thus creating a low friction area where water glides against water. The film on the hull and the sea/lake water.
    I used to use a wet 600 grit. Once the whole surface has been smoothly and evenly sanded you clean it with a plain sponge to get all the dust off and let it dry. You then throw water on it and a full wet film coat should cover it. That is your low friction surface.
    However some performance experts argue that finer grit is needed because the coarser grit makes too much water stick to the surface, this is not ideal.
    Some go as fine as 1500 wet grit which makes a mirror like surface.
    How are you sanding,circular motion,8-motion,straight motion in direction with board centerline,cross motion?

What is grit size on production boards isonic etc?
    Last edited by Wing 11; 15th April 2018 at 03:25 PM.

Palm finishing sander. As even as possible without spending too much time in any one particular spot. Last pass of the sanding paper by hand to even out areas that look visually irregular.
    No idea what they use in production boards but you can be sure they will not spend much time or care in it. There’s a big cost in man hours if they did.
    Last edited by Navegante; 15th April 2018 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Navegante View Post
    you can be sure they will not spend much time or care in it. There’s a big cost in man hours if they did.
    To me, it is very strange that factoray make matt finish,becuse they lose money when sanding..on the other way there is lot of information that polish is faster,so in practice neither finish is proven 100%.

http://www.mothboat.com/building/wax-on-or-off
    Last edited by Wing 11; 15th April 2018 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wing 11 View Post
    To me, it is very strange that factoray make matt finish,becuse they lose money when sanding..on the other way there is lot of information that polish is faster,so in practice neither finish is proven 100%.

http://www.mothboat.com/building/wax-on-or-off
    Nowadays frankly I don’t care, I get on the board and enjoy the ride I don’t overanalyse anything life is short too get hung up on this.
    If the board is sanded I give it a sanding once a year if it got dirty.
    Gloss is beautiful.
    That’s it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E4B20933-C650-4190-A7CD-BF1F57FF2F0B.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	16092
    Last edited by Navegante; 16th April 2018 at 12:24 AM.

Are american cup boat matt or polish?

If someone knows ,they know for sure..
    too much money+knowleged they have to solve this problem..