Windsurfing Rights/Law on Lakes with Clubs

Hi All,

I've tried searching for this but can't see any previous posts regarding this, it may be a silly question but I'm hoping to windsurf on Chipstead lake, just south of bromley, It's a lake with a sailing club and I was wondering if there is any legal/regulatory requirement to join a club when it's on a lake. I wouldn't be using any of the facilities and would not be launching from their area. I've only windsurfed abroad at rental places and recently got my own gear so I'm not really sure what the rights are with regards to windsurfing on local lakes.

Thanks,

Nick

Super Moderator
    Nick, as I understand it and I'm not a lawyer, the laws of trespass apply to lakes and rivers.

The British Canoe Union is currently running a campaign on this. The law in England and Wales is apparently the most restrictive in the world. The situation is better in Scotland.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivers_Access_Campaign

Trespass is a civil law so not normally an issue for the police but the owners of the lake could take you to court if you used it without permission.

It might be worth talking to the sailing club to see what they could offer you.
    Last edited by MartinJ; 16th April 2018 at 09:20 AM.

Thanks for the response, didn't realise that such a high percentage of lakes and rivers were non-public waters. Surprising given the right to roam exists. I'll give them a bell then, too bad; they're not the most contactable of groups. Thanks again for your help.