Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

UK Windsurfing Weather From 17/4/18

Windy today in the west and the swell is still cranking! East of the IOW we will struggle with marginal S'ly winds I suspect, and these winds die down later anyway.

Tomorrow the wind switches to a more SE'ly direction and things warm up even more. This might make choosing a beach in the windy west a but more tricky - maybe newgale??

There isn't a great deal of wind on offer further east but there is another pulse of unusually good long period SW swell so I wonder if there could be some float and ride or windsup on offer somewhere with sideshore winds. I am hoping to catch some waves tomorrow evening, most probably paddle powered, but I'll pack the 5.5m in case its more suited to windsup.

After tomorrow its light winds and summer weather pretty much everywhere for a few days but I see hints in the longer range forecasts that a weather pattern more favourable for wind in the SE might fall into place early next week. Some might call my assessment of the forecast wildly optimistic but its important to remember that I can only sail in the evenings during the week and that will be over high tide next week - i.e. as far as I'm concerned it might be windy, but it'll still be ****! (unless the swell is pumping which I am not optimistic about at all!).

I really need a freestyle board to make these sorts of forecast more fun, but anything will do after being off the water for 6 months!

K bay will either be epic windsurfing or epic SUPing. That's where I would be heading if I was on the water tomorrow.
    http://forwards4cowards.blogspot.com/ a blog about looping

UPDATED Feb 2016

If you looked at XC weather over the last couple of days, you will see the St Catherine's arrow has been much smaller than all the others. It looks like it's broken, but it's not! we are getting very little wind on the south coast, half the forecast, or less. About 4-5mph SE today.

It has definitely been an east/west thing.

I have been in Hove over the weekend and Windguru had wind for Sunday but the Met Office didn't – and the Met Office were right. Which was good news for our Marathon event.

We then had a bit of a southerly on Monday morning which died once the tide topped out.
    It did a similar thing today, and it's clear that the wind is much stronger further west – although Camber was logging 20mph at one point today.

But the west also has the rain. I drove to Devon this afternoon and left a warm and sunny day in Brighton only to arrive in Sidmouth in rain and fog, and with cool temperatures.

If I had left earlier I probably could have windsurfed here, but it was a marginal wind by evening.

And for Wednesday, the better wind is again further west.

On the plus side, it's getting warmer and I have brought my SUP with me.
    Now back in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    I drove to Devon this afternoon and left a warm and sunny day in Brighton only to arrive in Sidmouth in rain and fog, and with cool temperatures.

If I had left earlier I probably could have windsurfed here, but it was a marginal wind by evening.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but you drove away from the wind in the West Country at the end of last week? Then you drove back there yesterday but didn't stop off at e.g. Overcombe? It was still solidly windy when I left there at 3.30pm.
    For sale:
    HSM Superfreak 4.2 £FREE

Well indeed. But that's the problem when you're working in the daytime and driving between jobs at night.
    Unfortunately, I needed to be in Brighton this weekend because of the Marathon.
    (And it was after 6pm when I drove past Weymouth yesterday.)

It's so much easier when there's wind at home and you just take two hours out of your working day to get in a session.

Luckily, I'm home in Hove all next week and with lots of spare time, and the current forecast on Windguru tells me there's wind for a few days, from Monday.
    I can't wait because the windsurfing in the UK has been sh1t in the five weeks since I got back from my two months in Cape Town.

There's a bit of wind today (Wednesday) up at Rhosneigr but that's several hundred miles away.

On the plus side, it's a gorgeous day here in Sidmouth. Enjoy the sunshine people.
    Last edited by basher; 18th April 2018 at 09:45 AM.
    Now back in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    Well indeed. But that's the problem when you're working in the daytime and driving between jobs at night.
    Unfortunately, I needed to be in Brighton this weekend because of the Marathon.
    Ah, that's a shame. I'm guessing you had paid work to photograph the marathon - which newspaper/magazine is publishing them? I'd be keen to see.
    For sale:
    HSM Superfreak 4.2 £FREE