Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    South coast waves are firing today. Pretty much as good as it gets. Will be interesting to see what the wind does - its supposed to get up from the ESE this afternoon. I'm trying for an evening session paddling on the log. I suspect it will shrink a lot on the drop but hopefully I'll be able to get some glides on a few ankle biters. Its my first water time since October so I don't need much! Given the weather I'd be happy with anything other than completely flat!

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    (And it was after 6pm when I drove past Weymouth yesterday.)
    Weymouth was windy all day. See screen grab of graph below for Portland Harbour (in knots). Actually looks like it picked up as you drove past.

https://weatherfile.com/location?loc_id=GBR00006

For sale:
    HSM Superfreak 4.2 £FREE

Yeah right. Next time I'm driving along the south coast road with a van full of tools and furniture, on a four hour drive after work, and stuck in traffic in the rain, I'll take a detour to a beach I have never sailed before on the off chance there might be enough wind to go windsurfing.

As it was, I was heading to a beach further west – in Sidmouth, where our new family house is. The rain was so heavy on arrival at 7pm, I didn't even think about windsurfing, and I note that the tide was high anyway.

On the plus side, I now have somewhere to stay in Sidmouth when I choose to, at my brother's new house. Right now, there's a lot of work to be done.
    I guess it'll also take me time to get to know the east Devon area – but if I'd had my freestyle board with me it was sailable in the easterly today. And there was a bit of surf with the rising tide.
    Seaton looks like it might be a better bet than Sidmouth for catching westerly swell?

I also checked out Exmouth this evening but that looks like a flat water spot.
    I guess Bigbury is not far when I'm here and have half a day free. It's about 53 miles, 1hr 15minutes in a car.
    Kimmeridge is 1hr 45minutes from here – but is another option for breaking the journey to here or when heading home.

Back on topic, and there's not much wind tomorrow. But change in the Jet Stream for early next week still looks very positive.
    Last edited by basher; 18th April 2018 at 08:47 PM.
    Now back in the UK.

Any recent experiences of water temperatures at the moment? I'm currently winter suit-less at the moment, but keen to get out

Quote Originally Posted by jackoboi View Post
    Any recent experiences of water temperatures at the moment? I'm currently winter suit-less at the moment, but keen to get out
    Winter suit definitely required
    For sale:
    HSM Superfreak 4.2 £FREE

Sea temps off the south coast are about 10c, long sleeve 4/3 suit if you don't do too much swimming, I would not go out in my winter now or Id come back poached.
    2017. Wave sessions 19 Bump Jump 14
    2018 Wave sessions 2. V good though

I supped with my 3/2 yesterday which was about right given the warm air temps and light winds (and I'm a wimp about sea temps!). Sea felt very cold for the first few dunkings, but I got used to it and couldn't face my winter suit in 20c+ air temps!!

I've actually just bought a 4/3 for spring or chilly summer evening sessions - yesterday was not normal for an after work session!

I suspect that SE coast will warm up a couple of degrees during the warm spell...