Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Someone should mention 'cold water shock' at this point.

It's so easy to feel the warmer air temperature and then to forget that the sea is still at its coldest in April.

If you are going to fall in then you need to be wearing a good suit. It's not just about neoprene thickness but how well sealed it is.
    If you are standing on an SUP most of the time – staying dry and paddling – then you can get away with a thinner suit, but the more time you spend in the water – like when surfing or when getting rinsed by waves – then the thicker your suit needs to be.

In cross-over weather like we have now, and 4/3 long sleeve 'spring suit' is probably the best bet.

If the wind blows hard next week once the temperature drops back then windchill factors may put us all back in 5/3 winter suits.
    Last edited by basher; 19th April 2018 at 03:42 PM.
    Now back in the UK.

I was out yesterday in the sun and winter 5/3 suit + a neoprene vest under that as the water temperature is still a bit cold. Way too hot, but was working hard with a 8.5m and didnt fall in. I had to stop after a while and take a dunking to cool down. The water is warmer than last month by at least a couple of degrees. 10c in Poole today.
    https://www.seatemperature.org/europe/united-kingdom/

Been out surfing in the last couple of days, & a winter suit is required. I didn't bother with a hood, & after a few waves on the head I was feeling a bit punch drunk. A thinner suit would be fine for windsurfing, as long as you were windsurfing, & not getting a long rinsing.

This weather is great for boosting the water temps in the shallow brown waters of the SE! Its already 1C up on where it was when I went out on Wednesday at 10.5C. With 2 reasonably warm days still to come I think we'll be 11+ by the time the wind picks up next week. I recon 13C is about the threshold for a sealed 3/2 for me when windsurfing assuming decent air temps. I'm hoping my new 4/3 will be warm enough now until at least November. My 5/4/3 is almost always too hot and is a pain to put on and take off!

SUPing last couple of days in a 4/3. Perfect temperature wise and the water doesn't feel too cold any more.

Out today, & it did feel warmer, even under the waves!