Error 404 | Boards | The UK's No.1 Windsurfing Magazine

Sorry...

Page Not Found

Please check to make sure the URL is correct, or contact us at support@boards.co.uk to let us know your issue, and we'll do our best to help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sunday 22 April 2018

Superb session off Whitehaven (Parton) in near perfect side shore conditions.
    Especially later when the sun & blue sky came.

At one point when I was well out I heard a seabird making a strange loud noise like someone whistling. Then I heard it again. So I looked around and there was Workington Lifeboat RIB right behind me!
    Apparently they were looking for a lost paraglider and wanted to know if Id seen anything.

Hope hes OK, we lost a diver in one of the local lakes yesterday (Wastwater).

Actually I was a bit pissed off the lifeboat managed to catch me.
    Writing nonsense on tinternet since 1842.

Hayling Island 11 till 3.

leisurely start as wind was forecast to pick up after lunch to 15 knots SW.
    After a crazy last few weeks wave sailing down in Cornwall, I resolved to work on my racks and light wind gybes.
    Rigged up my trusty Severne Freek 5.6 on my JP Fusion 8’5 sup, but despite the feel of breeze on the beach, it wasn’t enough to really keep moving, so ditched the rig and paddled over to Winner bank.
    Beautiful conditions, sunny, very warm and clear blue sea. Very warm in my 3/2 full suit but wisely had opted for boots. It was fresh when you fell in!

Headed back to the beach as the wind started to fill in and fitted the rig, for another hour of pootling to the bank and back.
    Knocked off when the tide had filled over the bank and wind didn’t really seem to be hitting forecast. Chimet saying 15 gusting 20 but only just 10 on the water, so didn’t bother rigging the slalom gear.

Finally saw someone having a go on a foil board as I packed up.
    Cant say it looked enticing.

Lepe 2:00 - 3:30
    5.8m and 105 l was great fun for an hour or so, the water is warming up and it was nice to be out.

Whilst it was good to see a building SW/WSW wind here in Hove, and on a Sunday, just as it got to planing levels the 'fog of doom' rolled in and the temperatures plummeted.
    There were quite a few non-planers out at Hove early on, but most packed up when the fog came. (And I never made it out).

Not sure if Shoreham or Worthing had the same problem but I did note the Worthing site had 21mph+ at one stage, so maybe it was OK there.

But it's now Monday and we're expecting better wind most days here this week.
    Now back in the UK.

Did anyone sail at Camber on Sunday?
    According to the 'Red House' wind site, they had 20knots+ all afternoon and with late gusts reaching 26 to 30knots.
    Now back in the UK.

Nice 22 at Patacona Beach yesterday. Not much wind to speak of, so I took my paddleboard out for bit. I managed to ride a couple of the ankle biters the med was offering, but I was having more fun just goofing around a bit and messing with foot placements and the inevitable dunkings.

My wife and kids came down a little later and our surf box was blessed with a mobile food truck - excellent Kobi steak burger, wasabi mayonnaise and beansprouts. Washed down with a couple of beers before cycling home through the park.

Good times!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3380.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	16122
    hostis humani generis

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    Did anyone sail at Camber on Sunday?
    According to the 'Red House' wind site, they had 20knots+ all afternoon and with late gusts reaching 26 to 30knots.
    I did consider Camber, but it was a bit far to go on a 50/5 forecast, high tide, esp if marginal and dangly central.
    Be interesting to know if it did kick in there as great when it’s on.