Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RazeR69 View Post
    Well, two things:
    First, the high quality, high carbon, highly technical fins are developed for racing and neither these foil fins or actual foils are for high speed.

Second, my normal gear planes at 6 knots with this fin while very specialized and technical formula boards and fins and huge sails start planing at 7 knots. There has to be a low wind market for this.....
    The problem is you are saying "Better" & this is very subjective. And then we don't really have any evidence that any of these things are "Better" at all - especially when some of the claims (planes in 6kts) are dubious & unsubstantiated or seem wildly exaggerated at best. This is why there has not been much response either. Full foiling yes: The benefits or effects are obvious & well documented. I'm afraid you will need a lot more than your first hand test to convince us skeptics...

Quote Originally Posted by Navegante View Post
    This concept works in outboard engines and stern drives it has been used for decades. The difference is that in outboards and stern drives the driver can adjust the trim of the engine as needed.

So providedvthe trim angle in these fins wing is the correct one for the conditions it has to work to an extent.
    Trim tabs are designed to alter the angle of the planing hull to the water - not to lift the hull. The affect is lowering drag on the hull & changing the way it rides in rough seas. These fins may have a similar effect, but IMO not the effect the OP is thinking of...

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgesailor View Post
    Trim tabs are designed to alter the angle of the planing hull to the water - not to lift the hull. The affect is lowering drag on the hull & changing the way it rides in rough seas. These fins may have a similar effect, but IMO not the effect the OP is thinking of...
    I’m not talking about trim tabs.

[QUOTE]"Full foiling yes: The benefits or effects are obvious & well documented."

Bingo! That is exactly why there is renewed interest in semi-foiling. If foils can lift entire board and rider 1 meter above the water in low winds or with smaller sails, surely some adaptation could provide just enough lift for much earlier planing or enable the use of smaller sails, both laudable goals where I sail.

The windsurf spot where I sail is a conservation area which opens on May 24th. I am greatly looking forward to racing against my buddies with this fin. They can all pretty much hold a bigger sail than me. One of them has a GPS system and is all about tracking his speed. So hopefully I will have some more data which I could not get in Cuba as there were no other windsurfers there at that time.
    There's no ox so dumb as the orthodox.

When you say 'no AoA' I presume you mean if the board is held flat? Surely the essence of windfoiling is that you control the AoA by shifting weight in the forward/aft plane, and similar could apply here?

It's quite possible to semi-foil with a full foil, either when too little power for take off, or deliberately by keeping weight forward. Works rather well in fact. However the former case suggests to me a large wing is needed for a worthwhile effect. OTH the formula fins do apparently produce lift by bending, so a small wing might replicate, and possibly enhance, that effect. I think the jury is still out until we see much more evidence. I would have expected Virus to have posted some video before offering for sale.

One advantage for the t might be that when overpowered it ventilates to the surface before the board leaves the water, enabling easier control in higher winds.

"One advantage for the t might be that when overpowered it ventilates to the surface before the board leaves the water, enabling easier control in higher winds."

And unless I can figure out a dependable planing jibe, the same might be true for that. The t foil might break the surface and not hinder the jibe. Might........or at least not give as much sideways push as the long end of the bending fin.
    Last edited by RazeR69; 2nd May 2018 at 05:36 PM.

I can't believe there is still no feedback from purchasers of Virus t-foils. Has anyone, anywhere heard how they work?