Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Sometimes. depends if I'm using adjustable lines or not, no point swinging them if they are too long or short. Probably not so much if I'm using fixed lines, but then even they can sometimes be swung out of the way because the rig got rinsed in the last dump, so, as usual, there is no 'right' or 'wrong' no harm in a downward glance to check they are where they should be.

I've found recently that they just swing up and catch on the hook and I'm good, perhaps a teeny bit too long, but makes hooking in really easy - I try to look out for all the ships that keep coming around, get caught out now and again

I wish I hadn't seen this thread before sailing today as I kept thinking do I need to look or not.
    The answer is yes, when planing out of a gybe, feet in the straps (sometimes just the front foot before hooking in) then a quick glance whilst hooking in. Takes less than 0.5s I think.
    When slogging and I hook in then no.

I think Mikerb needs to watch that video of his gybing at Portland today, I'd say thats a look down!

I too had another think about this today, when windsurfing.
    I'm glad I brought up the walking analogy earlier, because it's spot on.

When we walk we move our feet and swing our arms but we are not really aware of that because the eyes look to where we want to go and the brain processes the feedback from the feet, to get to our destination most efficiently.
    So you can climb up a slope without looking at your feet and even on rocky ground you look at the ground ahead, planning a path, rather than looking where each foot is being placed.

And today I realised I drive through water just like that when riding a windsurf board. The feet and arm movements are on automatic, with the brain telling them what to do without looking at them. The brain is processing where I want to go.
    I don't move my feet intentionally, so much as load the board to keep it flat or to load a rail for a turn. Hooking in is treated the same way, because the goal is not to hook in, but to move the board forwards in the most efficient way.
    If you have to think about hooking in – or have to think where to put your feet on the board – then you are on new kit or are still learning.

First, the beach start: Today I would set off from the beach and pump the sail to get planing asap, and I would not necessarily hook in straight away if that process would affect the optimum board trim as I tried to weave through shore break waves.
    Similarly in turns, every turn is different in any chop or waves because you keep going by directing the board downhill where possible, and so the timing of unhooking before a gybe, or re-hooking in after one, are about the turn and not about hooking in itself.

I pump the sail in any turn, and hooking in may be a part of that pump. Occasionally I missed the hook today, so I simply tried again with the next pump. If I had stopped to look down to hook in more effectively then the turn itself would not have been so smooth or fast.
    We are only in a harness – and hooking in – to give ourselves relief from the load on our arms. So hooking in is not the goal in itself.

Similarly, when we walk, the foot placement is not the goal – moving forwards efficiently is.
    Now back in the UK.

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    I too had another think about this today, when windsurfing.
    I'm glad I brought up the walking analogy earlier, because it's spot on.
    Yeah right!

Unfortunately you botch it by going on tiptoes to hook in and out... ay! Ay! Ay! Ay! Ay!

Quote Originally Posted by Navegante View Post
    Yeah right!

Unfortunately you botch it by going on tiptoes to hook in and out... ay! Ay! Ay! Ay! Ay!

I don't understand what you mean – because I don't do that.
    Now back in the UK.

I don't understand what you mean – because I don't do that.
    If you must use those rigid fixed lines then the technique is a bit different – where you still pump the sail towards you but raise yourself up on your toes and then lower yourself into the line.
    Really?

You do like to waffle on about nothing, then not even remember the bollox you've just written..

And seriously.. raise yourself up on your toes? Got to be technique tip of the month right there..
    Last edited by Graemef; 24th April 2018 at 09:29 AM.