Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Equipment PWA slalom

What do you think what has the biggest influence on winning in PWA slalom,sail,fin,board or mast?

(excluding for AA,he will win no matter what)

Is it true that most of them do not sail on production masts?

Most slalom guys will spend hours tuning their gear – getting to know mast foot and boom height settings, fin favourites, plus matching masts to sails.
    But that is also part of a pro sailor's job in developing the gear we all use. So what they do today, we often get sold tomorrow.
    (And usually, you will not see a pro GA sailor setting his sail on an NP mast etc.)

The guy who wins a regatta is often the most prepared, but then again it's not always about the gear, but about the decisions made. Some of those decisions are about gear choice for each race, but more are about the race itself.

Good starts count for a lot in slalom, and then good tactics at the marks can help make up for a poor start.

Sometimes one guy is also faster because of his stature and weight-to height ratio. But the guy that goes fast at one race spot is not necessarily as fast at another location.
    Now back in the UK.

Slalom kit is very much "a sum of its parts". By that I mean only one thing has to be not quite right and the whole lot feels terrible. It might be as small as the harness lines being 2cm too long or two short. It takes the sailors all winter to get comfortable and fast on their kit.

As regards custom masts - its not so much a case of custom masts but choosing one that they feel is best as masts will vary a small amount. I don't know if they still do but the sailors used to like to go to the warehouse and weigh all the boards and chose the lightest. Only the top guys might do that these days as there are no longer warehouses full of slalom boards in the UK. I guess Pryde (JP) will have a few and fanatic also with their centralised distribution.

In the old old days special masts were made for world cup sailors. I used to deal with Rotho Germany and I used to be given some of the masts some of which now hold up the washing line.

Many pros will be on new or prototype sails and they will try different matches with various masts initially, until the rig feels right.
    By the time they reach a regatta however they should have found a mast that works, and that will normally be labelled up as a production mast for the same brand. Word would soon go round if they used another brand's mast.
    Now back in the UK.

Only in some people's heads.
    Now back in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Wing 11 View Post
    is Neil Pryde still fastest sail?
    In one heat it will be. In another it will be North, then the next will be Severne or GA. Same with Boards. They are ALL very fast. It is the most consistent sailors that are winning actual events & not heats.

Quote Originally Posted by Wing 11 View Post
    in my country there was opinion last 10 years that NP is fastest sail and isonic is fastest board..
    but I dont feel diffrence nor in boards nor in sails nor in fins
    Yes, they are wrong. They must pay too much attention to ads or some local hero.