Error 404 | Boards | The UK's No.1 Windsurfing Magazine

Sorry...

Page Not Found

Please check to make sure the URL is correct, or contact us at support@boards.co.uk to let us know your issue, and we'll do our best to help.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How to choose a new sail quiver.

My current quiver of sails from two different manufactures (Severne and Ezzy) were chosen to meet my immediate needs at the time several years ago and they have served me well. My 4.7 and 5.7 Severne Blades were chosen for gusty lake conditions and my Severne NCX 6.5 is for blasting. I use/have used my 5.8 Ezzy Panther for practice sessions and my 7.5 Ezzy Legacy is for the light wind days for relaxed cruising. Each sail has a distinct and different feel and I could describe each in detail as I have sailed them a lot.

From the above list of sails, I have a favourite which is the NCX which I use in combination with my Atomiq100 and the setup is a real blast.

I have recently moved to Paradise and am now sailing flat water in the ocean sheltered by islands. The equipment best suited is slalom gear and my attention is now being drawn to update my quiver.

Thinking ahead as I usually do, I can't help but wonder if proper slalom gear would be appropriate for my future needs which includes a slalom board.

I have never used a cammed sail but they are the preferred choice around here together with Falcons and Isonics.

So, what should I be looking for when considering my next purchase? I would like to keep my existing masts which are all CC RDM.

Most importantly, where did you move to?
    2017. Wave sessions 19 Bump Jump 14
    2018 Wave sessions 2. V good though

For CC RDM masts you are a little limited when it comes to slalom sails, that being said Loft Racing Blades rig on SDM and RDM CC masts and come with cams for both mast types.

I've been using them for the last year and I'm genuinely very impressed with them, very nice fast sails that have seen me going faster and pointing higher and deeper than before.
    The Windsurfer Formally Known as JKRR - TWFKJKRR or "Him in the Red Shorts"

My long term plan revolves around decent masts that work with sail brands that are consistant and are a good long term bet. Sails and booms can come and go as they get tatty but no reason a mast can’t last 10 years or more, so I start there. With mast curve there is a convergence of brands who use CC or CC with a slight hint toward flex top. North, Simmer, Goya, Ezzy etc are all in this bracket and that gives you a lot of choice. I’d stay well clear of hard top brands as they are a dying breed. I also look to brands that keep consistant ranges going year on year (and decent availability and price). For those reasons I like North and Simmer. Both have very consistant wave sail lines, the Simmer blacktip line is a good example, it’s a modern compact design and while it gets tweaked annualy it is largely the same sails with the same dimension and performance. If you bought a full quiver 5 years ago and wrecked one, you could buy this years sail and it would fit nicely in the quiver, the masts would be the same. Same with North Sails - same designer for years so the sails are very consistant and you can develop your quiver over time without major headaches.

Cams or no cams is very much a personal prefference. Slalom gear is less user friendly / harder work but definitey faster. Personally I think no cam free race sails are so good that I would not consider cams again. The additional speed / performance does not warrant the cost and faff. Similar with boards, I’d go with a freerace over a full on slalom. Fin box type is worth considering - I would look for a powerbox as they are easy to get hold of however you may have an eye on a foil and therefore a deep tuttle might be a shrewd move.

If I was doing your shopping I would go North E Type sails and starboard Futura or Fanatic blast.

I'd be wary of full on slalom kit, as people mentioned in the PWA Slalom Kit thread its very much a sum of the parts. To get the best out of the kit, you will need top quality fins, masts to match the sails. Plus skill and technique, if you cant do 30 knots on flat water with a 7.5m its pretty much a waste of money. I was watching a local rig his 2018 7.9m GA Vapour yesterday and was surprised how easily it rigged, the cams went on no problem just as easy as my Ezzy Lion sails. He said now he has the correct mast its easy, previous he had North Platinums. He still needs a North XT winch to crank on the downhaul required. The previous version sounded a nightmare for tuning.

I was thinking of getting a faster 7.8m freerace sail for top speed in the harbour, I like my Ezzy Lions as they are so easy to use but lacking in ultimate top speed. But then I'd be heading for 2 separate sail/board quivers for harbour and sea and I'm trying to avoid that and use kit suitable for both. If I was going to get one, for my Ezzy mast, I'd look at the Loft Switchblade freerace first. Maybe the full on slalom sail if I'd had a go on one first, those luff tubes look a nightmare for water starting but in practice might not be as bad as my fears.

My fastest GPS times were from 2008/9 with a small 80 Fanatic slalom board and 5.6/6.5m 3 cam freerace Naish sails. 10 second average of 31-33 knots at Portland and 29-30 knots in Poole Harbour. I was a lot fitter and stronger back then, but fairly certain matching those speeds with today's slalom kit would be easily achievable and not seem as scary, I always need a lot of wind but today's kit is far more efficient, so I'm told.
    Last edited by phil_in_poole; 27th April 2018 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spammy View Post

I have recently moved to Paradise and am now sailing flat water in the ocean sheltered by islands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie.T View Post
    Most importantly, where did you move to?

I'll take a guess, Bay of Islands in NZ.