Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jknhismassivevan View Post
    For CC RDM masts you are a little limited when it comes to slalom sails, that being said Loft Racing Blades rig on SDM and RDM CC masts and come with cams for both mast types.

I've been using them for the last year and I'm genuinely very impressed with them, very nice fast sails that have seen me going faster and pointing higher and deeper than before.
    I really like the feel of my NCX and it sounds like the Loft Switchblade may be a couple of steps up which is exactly what I am looking for. The newer cambered sails from KA, Severne, Ezzy and Loft Sails all claim/or will rig on both SDM and RDM CC. There may be others....
    I will have to start demoing a few of these sails but the distributors are some distance away (Holiday trips)?

Quote Originally Posted by BottomTurnBob View Post
    My long term plan revolves around decent masts that work with sail brands that are consistant and are a good long term bet. Sails and booms can come and go as they get tatty but no reason a mast can’t last 10 years or more, so I start there. With mast curve there is a convergence of brands who use CC or CC with a slight hint toward flex top. North, Simmer, Goya, Ezzy etc are all in this bracket and that gives you a lot of choice. I’d stay well clear of hard top brands as they are a dying breed. I also look to brands that keep consistant ranges going year on year (and decent availability and price). For those reasons I like North and Simmer. Both have very consistant wave sail lines, the Simmer blacktip line is a good example, it’s a modern compact design and while it gets tweaked annualy it is largely the same sails with the same dimension and performance. If you bought a full quiver 5 years ago and wrecked one, you could buy this years sail and it would fit nicely in the quiver, the masts would be the same. Same with North Sails - same designer for years so the sails are very consistant and you can develop your quiver over time without major headaches.

Cams or no cams is very much a personal prefference. Slalom gear is less user friendly / harder work but definitey faster. Personally I think no cam free race sails are so good that I would not consider cams again. The additional speed / performance does not warrant the cost and faff. Similar with boards, I’d go with a freerace over a full on slalom. Fin box type is worth considering - I would look for a powerbox as they are easy to get hold of however you may have an eye on a foil and therefore a deep tuttle might be a shrewd move.

If I was doing your shopping I would go North E Type sails and starboard Futura or Fanatic blast.

"Personally I think no cam free race sails are so good that I would not consider cams again. "
    Seems to be a train of thought among some but the popularity of the cambered sails in my local spots suggest differently. Of course many are sponsored and/or affiliated with a particular brand and get new kit delivered to them every year! and people like me are continuously tempted and every so often feel like succumbing to temptation....

The Furura and Blast, worthy contenders for consideration! I will keep them in mind.
    Last edited by spammy; 28th April 2018 at 03:58 AM.

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Spammy

How much of an outlay of money do you want to invest in this? I mean do you want to go the slalom or freerace route and fully commit to that?

This is what I have found given that I have some of the sails you mention or had them in the past.

If you get a board like the Futura 101 or newer 97 or 107 you can still use your Severne Blades and NCX and be very happy with that giving you a frightening speed compared to the AtomIQ. The Futura is much more than a freeride board.

I use the futura 101 with the Blades when my travel demands mean I have limited number of sails to carry. I use the Futura with fully cambered sails but i have not felt a lack of enjoyment when i downgrade to the Blades for a non cambered mode.

If you think you will get to cambered sails you can go semi fully cambered:

the Severne Turbo one camber under 6.6 and two camber above that size. Turbo is a fantastically wide range sail, very stable.
    The Loft Switchblade is another one that has a very loyal following and reviews to match it.

However, if you happen to like your new sailing programme you may want more out of the sails. With this spirit in mind one sail to consider is the North Warp.
    It is a very easy sail to rig, has fantastic allround performance and top speeds, good wind range and not at all physical to handle because of the great stability of proifile. You will be happy with the Warp from 2014 onward.
    Doing this you eliminate any intermediate reconfiguration and expense. It is not as intimidating as it seems.

PS: You may also find you need to do a mental adjustment from sails that are full scrim/xply to sails that are just monofilm with regards to perceived longevity.
    Last edited by Navegante; 28th April 2018 at 08:43 AM.

You will only gain benefit from slalom boards/race sails if you are prepared to sail overpowered, prepared to take a lot of time fine tuning every sail/board/fin combination, spend good money on a fin selection, and use top end mast and boom. If you are not prepared for all of that you will have much more fun and be only marginally slower on fast freeride or freerace boards and sails. Personally I see little to be gained in using cammed sails over performance no cam except for maximising lighter summer breezes........and even then you have to find one that has good bottom end power. It is generally agreed that larger freeride/freerace sails perform better on SDM masts so if your new spot is primarily flat water blasting, starting your quiver plans with good quality 430/460 SDM masts may be a good idea. As was said above most brands seem now to be moving towards constant curve but that still does not mean you will get the best mast/sail match unless they are the same brand. I would plan to develop a quiver from one brand to match the masts. Anything else is really trial and error. Using the same brand also ensures your sail sizes are accurately incremental, plus you gain familiarity with that brand in terms of sail set and tuning.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I appreciate your honest and unbiased opinions.

I am not into GPS slalom sailing so the Futura 97 route sounds like a good option together with the addition of a NCX 7.0 or perhaps a Turbo GT 7.0 as I often feel that I could use a bit more sail when the conditions are around 17-20kts.
    Last edited by spammy; 29th April 2018 at 07:08 AM.

Cant go wrong with Turbo..Great sail.
    An aspect not mentioned in camber none camber debate is sailor weight. Heavier sailors load sails up proportionally more and hence need good stability at top of a sails range and yet good low end power. To my mind cambers are only way to go to fully widen a sail's range. I often use a 5.8 cammed ( X15) in wind I could use a none cambered 4.7... The 5.8 X15 in this situation gives stability at top end and its size ability to cope in lulls. ( relative) But...cambered dont handle rough water well and are always going to handle worse. ( ie rotate slower, dont feather so well)
    In bigger sizes ( ie 6 and above) for me cambers are essential. I,ve tried various freerace none cambered and always been slightly disappointed at top end..( stability).. But I am 105 kg.
    I have 4 metre to 6.5 wave sails. 5 metre to 7.8 fully cammed (X15,s) And two Turbos ( 8.4 and 9.2) I like the lightweight of twin cam in very large sizes but absolutely love stability of 7 fully cammed x15..( Which I,ve hung onto in silly winds and managed 38 knots Vmax with)
    Yes, lots of sails but it does mean correct sail for conditions and does spread wear out over lots of kit, prolonging sails' life.
    Tried Avanti's last year. Beautiful , light sails but had mast compatibility problems. Right mast for sail is essential nowadays. Had to get Severne mast to get best from Turbos. Didn't want to fork out on Avanti masts..Stuck with X15's until they wear out. But that's fine.

I,ve still got 2 Avantis for sale. A 6 and an 9.4...Both good condition, no rips, tears or repairs. I,d recommend Avanti masts tho...PM me if interested.
    Last edited by Alphie; 30th April 2018 at 01:56 PM.

My NCX 6.5 sets and rotates beautifully on my CC RDM. Handles fanatically too.

The Turbo GT 7.0 with RDM cambers is on order. Should be here next week. Hope it sets like the NCX....