Error 404 | Boards | The UK's No.1 Windsurfing Magazine

Sorry...

Page Not Found

Please check to make sure the URL is correct, or contact us at support@boards.co.uk to let us know your issue, and we'll do our best to help.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

GT31 Delicate ???

I,ve had two GT31's. Much as I like all facilities, ease of use , accuracy etc etc my second in probably 5 years has now gone same way as first. The toggle button either doesn't work or locks into a scroll type facility switching through screens. Unit has always been used in an aquapack..and I,d say unit has always been well treated.??? ( but not well enough it seems)
    Not really moaning, its done a good job and everything wears out but how have other units stood upto prolonged usage.
    Was thinking of watch type next time ? Any recommendations ?

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    I think the GT31 is good. If the aquapack is tight this increases the stress in the buttons.
    Mine is a BGT31 which initially i loved but after the windows 10 upgrade and also the firmware update in it, it does not communicate with the PC any more.
    Sure you can load the sd card in the pc and still get the data.
    I use mine not in the aquapack but put it inside my wetsuit in between my left shoulder and below the clavicle. Never had any water problems.

If I get a new GPS i want one that communicates with a PC through bluetooth via NMEA, this allows to use the GPS positioning on Google Earth and on digital maps.

I agree it is a good unit and has ( both of them ) worked well. Not difficult to use and enough functions/ facilities for windsurf use...but I,d never say it was well built. I,ve seen quite a few with worn out toggle switches ( the rubber covering wears out) .
    I,ve also always thought the display small..Its also " end of life" as far as Garmin are concerned.( I don't think they are building them anymore)
    It never suffered from the spurious results earlier models gave( I believe the displayed output is scrutinised by an acceleration algorithm...if rate of change is higher than expected on a board the figure is ignored. Occasionally that can lead to authentic resultts being ignored...but they are in track logs...so still available under scrutiny..
    Think I,ll get a watch model next...Dont post on speedsurfing.com anymore...

had mine for years with no problems. Think Nav is right, the most likely cause of problms with the buttons is the constant pressure and rubbing in an aquapac. I use an oversized aquapac and a small piece of deck pad cut in a shape to encircle both buttons so that the aquapac does not rest on them. This also means I do not have to use the lock function.

Quote Originally Posted by mikerb View Post
    had mine for years with no problems. Think Nav is right, the most likely cause of problms with the buttons is the constant pressure and rubbing in an aquapac. I use an oversized aquapac and a small piece of deck pad cut in a shape to encircle both buttons so that the aquapac does not rest on them. This also means I do not have to use the lock function.

Errrrr. So your waterproof GPS has to go in a waterproof bag with added protection to prevent damage ?? Think you realised it was delicate before I did...
    We shouldn't have to wrap stuff up in cotton wool ( or whatever) to make them work correctly. My Hero camera has taken loads more abuse, infact previous to that I used a cheap waterproof Panasonic which lasted years...
    The GT 31 is delicate. If new ones were available I,d still look around for another make.

One of other crazy things about GT31 is its claim to be waterproof...it just isn't..
    Sorry Nave / MikerB., never really been impressed with GT31 but they had a bit of a monopoly...Somebody made some under table hand shakes with the damned thing.
    It even looks cheap..

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Alphie
    So it doesn't work for you, fine.
    It is discontinued so what's the fuss?
    Unlikely that someone else is going to have your luck with it.
    Besides it wasn't a costly purchase from what I recall so if you had it for a while in salty
    environment, bouncing about as it does from aquapack to catapult to ricocheting about
    in the gear bag, I'd say you should be happy it wasn't a 500 € Garmin or Magellan.

Chill!

...if anyone is looking to buy a GT31 + Aquapack just let me know...