Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    nice house with horses, cats dogs, and bride. USA
    Quote Originally Posted by duzzi View Post
    Well, thinking that a group identified by a recreational sport is more or less friendly than another is assigning them, fairly innocuously, to a tribe ... but besides that: people are involved in dozen of other activities other than playing a particular sport. Why would a sport define their character?
    not any more or less than where they were born or live

K4 Fins 4Boards TRI-sails Sailrepair

"road cyclists - hardly ever, look and behave as if the purpose is to punish oneself and be miserable"

Bit harsh! The ones I see usually say hello, & are usually doing their sport at the time, not resting on a beach between blasts, or rigging on a hill.

Quote Originally Posted by mikerb View Post
    I guess its no surprise that the sport or activity someone choses to engage in, is likely to reflect their personality. There may also be a link between the demeanour of a participant and the degree of satisfaction the activity provides. The willingness of a person to acknowledge let alone engage with someone else they meet also seems to vary depending on where in the country they live!!
    I doubt.
    But I,m more with Tooold.
    I live a 15min from the beach and never lived more as 25min CYCLING away from a decent surfspot making it all very accessible, but if you grew up more inland with a 1.5h car drive to a dull lake I serious doubt I would be into watersport.

I do or did most of the sports on the list but a lot is also determined by where you live or grow up.
    Cycling for example: I used to road cycle a lot when I was doing triathlons and loved it.
    I stated 3 years ago with MTB wich is pretty difficult in Holland, It isnt all flat:

But Dunes and our hills (100m high at most) aren,t exactly comparable with Scottland, Wales, Lake district or the Eifel in Germany where we cycled last weekend. Roadcycling just suits our country better, but when I lived at the places above that would be different.

SUP also a lot over surfing, half the year the water is below 10 and I think 3 months around 5. standing out of the water is a lot less cold when it is around freezing.
    Having England blocking most of the waves we most have are winddrivven. Without wind it is something between knee and shoulder, overhead only on really really really good days (and always rather slow) suits a sup just better.
    If I was living in Bretagne (Next week going to Latorche Jihaa!), or Portugal I doubt if I would think the same, but also doubt if I would windsurf with so much quality waves.
    188x92kg 43y old, Supper/Windsurfer.

Witchcraft Flextail 104l + Witchcraft V4 86l HDD

2016/17 Hotsails KS3: 5.5+5.2+4.9+4.6+4.0+3.4 Ultra + Kauli + CAAS masts, AL360+ TL cont@ct booms lots of fins.

SUP Starboard 2015 Airborne 8.8x31.5x123l / Pro8.5x29x112l / Race14x25 / 2012 AST Coastrunner 14x28 / Gong9.4x29x135 Freak

Many moons back a friend of mine was out on his touring bicycle and a guy flicked a butt out the window and hit him smack in the face. He picked it up and finally caught the car up at the next red light.
    He tapped politely on the window which the driver rolled down, held up the butt and said - for a pound more you could have bought the model with the ashtray, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by astroboy View Post
    Many moons back a friend of mine was out on his touring bicycle and a guy flicked a butt out the window and hit him smack in the face. He picked it up and finally caught the car up at the next red light.
    He tapped politely on the window which the driver rolled down, held up the butt and said - for a pound more you could have bought the model with the ashtray, lol.
    Sounds like a cyclist ��...

Good and bad in all walks of life...Found every group I,ve mixed with very friendly, some exhibit a touch of tribalism. ( snow skiers versus snowboarders. Wakeboarders versus slalom skiers... Us and kiters ?? ) The more informed amongst us just see another healthy sport and opportunities for enjoyment..
    A few ( a good few now) years ago, my daughter became British wakeboard champion. She was one of a few people who competed at wakeboard and slalom skiing. At presentation for her award she was asked which she preferred now she was British Wakeboard Champion. (was a loaded question trying to get her to give a shout out against slalom and for wake boarding) Her reply..
    " well when its flat I much prefer slalom but if its a bit choppy I wakeboard and enjoy that too" ( She was 15 at time)������
    Last edited by Alphie; 2nd May 2018 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    Surely the conflict arises when participants of one activity encounter other people having fun in their space?

So ramblers don't like mountain bikers, and windsurfers don't like kiters.
    Car users seem to hate cyclists and vice versa.
    Actually the vast majority of walkers I encounter when mountainbiking in the Peak District are very friendly and helpful with holding gates open etc. when a little banter can be had. There is only the rare miserable ******* who makes me wonder how they can be so miserable doing something that should be enjoyed. I can't imagine what a Monday at work must be like for them.
    OTOH I've witnessed selfish behaviour by mountainbikers who then probably, correctly, assume ra,mblers don't like Them (as opposed to not liking mountanbikers in general).
    Not all car drivers hate cyclists as many also cycle and many cyclists also drive. True there are some who seem to have hatred for them as they perceive the root of all their personal failings is people riding bicycles. Some cyclists pander to this by riding illegally in a world where all motorists drive in accordance with the law at all times.
    Here to share the love.

I thought when the spongers came in it made surfing more accessible and mistakenly thought that it would end the "us and them" on the wave. In fact the spongers turned out to be the worst of the lot.
    Trust me the windy side is friendly compared with the surfing side.