Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opposite tack sailing, stuck to the water

On the south coast nearly always on starboard tack, I enjoy it and can jump off a wave relatively easily, the pop just happens without great deal of thought. But port tack sailing out through the chop and waves , I am completely stuck to the water. Now we don't get to practice port tack much, but is there anything I can practice at home to make it easier, something like kicking a ball with left leg instead of my right. I am right handed and footed. Hoping to find something , thanks

On your usual starboard tack, practice jumping on the way in.
    Now back in the UK.

Are you goofy or regular? (It makes a big difference) Most 'regular' riders like myself, (left foot forward skate, surf or snowboard riding)actually have the potential to be better on Port tack and the fact we've spent most of our time jumping on starboard because of the prevailing wind unleashes amazing new skills once the initial 'fear' of the wrong tack is overcome with just a little practise.

Sadly if you're goofy you're screwed, sorry..

So the good news is you can train up opposite footed ness and windsurfing will give you a natural advantage over other sports like surfing or snow boarding.
    If you buy or build an Indo balance board, it will help get your balance between the feet right.
    If you can also access a trampoline, that can be used to help train your body into the right positioning.

But the reality is it will feel pretty weird unless you invest heavily in sailing in port tack locations with waves.
    Your best bet near Poole are Southbourne / Hengistbury Head in a South or South East, or over at Kimmeridge in the same directions.

If if you are really keen then Tenerife and Lanzarote are both port tack jumping locations, and it’s quite surprising how quickly you’ll advance out there.

The flip side is that the lanzarote locals are equally hopeless on starboard tack. It's what you're used to.
    The world cup guys however are at home on any tack because they train for it.

Thanks, I am regular , I'll try the balance board. Jumping on the way back in is worth a try but difficult because the waves aren't usually rampy or peaky like they are on the way out .
    I am off to gran Canaria in July so got to sort something !

I do think the 'goofy-foot-versus-regular' idea is a bit over-rated.
    For sure, we all have a lead foot or are naturally left or right handed, but I think that practice overrides a lot of that.

I noticed the other day that I always get on my bike from left to right, lifting my right leg, and that doing it any other way feels odd. But that's just habit, or learnt muscle-memory.

So, rather than using 'footedness' as an excuse, you simply have to make an effort and train on the other tack. Make a point of sailing port tack beaches and make yourself do things differently at your local spot.

This advice applies to a lot of windsurfing. It's good to make yourself tack when it would be easier to gybe. If you can pull of good forwards on the way out then try and do the same when on the way in. etc.
    Now back in the UK.